Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

normal installation on a USB stick [solved]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
remibemol

normal installation on a USB stick [solved]

#1 Post by remibemol »

Hello everybody

I downloaded the debian testing on a usb stick. It boot well but the graphic and wifi driver doesn't work.
I manadge to fix the wifi but when I reboot the change are lost.

Now I would like to install it on a flash drive.
when I run the debian installer and go to partition I can't chose to partition the flash drive only my two hard drive are avalable to partition.
for the boot loader it is the same, I can only install it on a hard driver.

Please help me to figure out how to do a regular installation on a flash drive.
I know how to install live image on a usb, that is not what I want to do. I just want to install a regular debian on a usb stick

Thank you very much
Last edited by remibemol on 2021-06-03 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

remibemol

Re: normal installation on a USB stick

#2 Post by remibemol »

It's look like I find a solution to my problem and it seem like it was due to a bug... I do not know how to report it

My USB stick had 3 or 4 partitions
I did a command as root # cfdisk -z /dev/myusbkey
and i created one partition that I didn't formated...

I ran the debian installer again and there I could partition the usb key and install the boot sector to the USB key too.

sound like a bug to me as why can't I partition this drive with the debian installer and why did I needed to use cfdisk -z ???

well I'm currently installing it now

thank you for reading questions and answer to myself

reinob

#3 Post by reinob »

remibemol wrote: sound like a bug to me as why can't I partition this drive with the debian installer and why did I needed to use cfdisk -z ???
With cfdisk -z you start cfdisk but telling it to ignore the existing partition table, so you could create your partition without having to bother deleting the existing ones.

I don't know how well the installer works with USB as a destination. I have installed debian on a few USB sticks, but always using debootstrap.

brian_p

#4 Post by brian_p »

remibemol wrote:
sound like a bug to me as why can't I partition this drive with the debian installer and why did I needed to use cfdisk -z ???
I use expert mode and manual partitioning and have never failed to re-partition a USB stick and format it.
--
Brian.