normal installation on a USB stick [solved]

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian
remibemol

normal installation on a USB stick [solved]

#1 Post by remibemol »

Hello everybody

I downloaded the debian testing on a usb stick. It boot well but the graphic and wifi driver doesn't work.
I manadge to fix the wifi but when I reboot the change are lost.

Now I would like to install it on a flash drive.
when I run the debian installer and go to partition I can't chose to partition the flash drive only my two hard drive are avalable to partition.
for the boot loader it is the same, I can only install it on a hard driver.

Please help me to figure out how to do a regular installation on a flash drive.
I know how to install live image on a usb, that is not what I want to do. I just want to install a regular debian on a usb stick

Thank you very much
Last edited by remibemol on 2021-06-03 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

remibemol

Re: normal installation on a USB stick

#2 Post by remibemol »

It's look like I find a solution to my problem and it seem like it was due to a bug... I do not know how to report it

My USB stick had 3 or 4 partitions
I did a command as root # cfdisk -z /dev/myusbkey
and i created one partition that I didn't formated...

I ran the debian installer again and there I could partition the usb key and install the boot sector to the USB key too.

sound like a bug to me as why can't I partition this drive with the debian installer and why did I needed to use cfdisk -z ???

well I'm currently installing it now

thank you for reading questions and answer to myself

reinob

#3 Post by reinob »

remibemol wrote: sound like a bug to me as why can't I partition this drive with the debian installer and why did I needed to use cfdisk -z ???
With cfdisk -z you start cfdisk but telling it to ignore the existing partition table, so you could create your partition without having to bother deleting the existing ones.

I don't know how well the installer works with USB as a destination. I have installed debian on a few USB sticks, but always using debootstrap.

brian_p

#4 Post by brian_p »

remibemol wrote:
sound like a bug to me as why can't I partition this drive with the debian installer and why did I needed to use cfdisk -z ???
I use expert mode and manual partitioning and have never failed to re-partition a USB stick and format it.
--
Brian.