Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(SOLVED) No "log in" screen after installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
CGH

(SOLVED) No "log in" screen after installation

#1 Post by CGH »

I have just installed debian 10.9 from a netinstall image on my new laptop (Lenovo T495) with all the missing drivers from another usb. After the grub menu, everything starts loading as usual, but instead of a welcome/log in screen, all I get is a blinking

Code: Select all

_
I thought that maybe xfce was not installed, so I enter the recovery mode and installed task-xfce-desktop there, but still, all I get is a blinking _. If I try to access a terminal from ctrl+alt+ f(1,2,3,4,5,6) nothing happens. I am at lost and don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions?
Last edited by CGH on 2021-06-07 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: No "log in" screen after installation

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Did you install X ?

Code: Select all

# apt install xorg
From the cursor do startx.

CGH

#3 Post by CGH »

xorg is installed, and the from the cursor nothing happens when I type

edit: if I try xstart from the recovery mode i get an error:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Debian Testing (bullseye) with Gnome Desktop Environment is working for me. Not from the beginning, though: First reboot after installation issued a blinking cursor on a black screen. I had to change to another VT Strg+Alt+F2, log in as root, and add contrib non-free to the /etc/apt/sources.list entries. After apt-get update, I could install firmware-linux-nonfree, firmware-realtek, firmware-iwlwifi. After the next reboot, all was fine.
Source - https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... for-debian

CGH

#5 Post by CGH »

arochester wrote:
Debian Testing (bullseye) with Gnome Desktop Environment is working for me. Not from the beginning, though: First reboot after installation issued a blinking cursor on a black screen. I had to change to another VT Strg+Alt+F2, log in as root, and add contrib non-free to the /etc/apt/sources.list entries. After apt-get update, I could install firmware-linux-nonfree, firmware-realtek, firmware-iwlwifi. After the next reboot, all was fine.
Source - https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... for-debian
Hi arochester, thanks for your answer. I was aware of that topic and that's why when I installed the system I had a pendrive at hand with the missing drivers. I thought they were installed, but I still followed your advice and, from the recovery mode, I installed the missing firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-realtek (the wifi was the only driver correctly installed.) The system now runs smoothly.

Thank you again for providing me with the solution.