(SOLVED) No "log in" screen after installation

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian
CGH

(SOLVED) No "log in" screen after installation

#1 Post by CGH »

I have just installed debian 10.9 from a netinstall image on my new laptop (Lenovo T495) with all the missing drivers from another usb. After the grub menu, everything starts loading as usual, but instead of a welcome/log in screen, all I get is a blinking

Code: Select all

_
I thought that maybe xfce was not installed, so I enter the recovery mode and installed task-xfce-desktop there, but still, all I get is a blinking _. If I try to access a terminal from ctrl+alt+ f(1,2,3,4,5,6) nothing happens. I am at lost and don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions?
Last edited by CGH on 2021-06-07 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: No "log in" screen after installation

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Did you install X ?

Code: Select all

# apt install xorg
From the cursor do startx.

CGH

#3 Post by CGH »

xorg is installed, and the from the cursor nothing happens when I type

edit: if I try xstart from the recovery mode i get an error:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

arochester
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by arochester »

Debian Testing (bullseye) with Gnome Desktop Environment is working for me. Not from the beginning, though: First reboot after installation issued a blinking cursor on a black screen. I had to change to another VT Strg+Alt+F2, log in as root, and add contrib non-free to the /etc/apt/sources.list entries. After apt-get update, I could install firmware-linux-nonfree, firmware-realtek, firmware-iwlwifi. After the next reboot, all was fine.
Source - https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... for-debian

CGH

#5 Post by CGH »

arochester wrote:
Debian Testing (bullseye) with Gnome Desktop Environment is working for me. Not from the beginning, though: First reboot after installation issued a blinking cursor on a black screen. I had to change to another VT Strg+Alt+F2, log in as root, and add contrib non-free to the /etc/apt/sources.list entries. After apt-get update, I could install firmware-linux-nonfree, firmware-realtek, firmware-iwlwifi. After the next reboot, all was fine.
Source - https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... for-debian
Hi arochester, thanks for your answer. I was aware of that topic and that's why when I installed the system I had a pendrive at hand with the missing drivers. I thought they were installed, but I still followed your advice and, from the recovery mode, I installed the missing firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-realtek (the wifi was the only driver correctly installed.) The system now runs smoothly.

Thank you again for providing me with the solution.