Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation bug with partitioner but not the lock up type

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Ductape

Installation bug with partitioner but not the lock up type

#1 Post by Ductape »

Greetings: Debian 10.9

Dvd-1 installing via USB flash drive. Graphical.

Install works up to to the partitioner that seems to run fine except that it won't allow one to continue to the base install. Made and remade partitions with partitioner and partition wizard just in case there was a gltich. Ext 3 or 4 MBR and PRB, different mount points. No luck and at times the settings would stick and other times that would resend when you choose " done with editing this partition". I manually went back to the script page and selected install base but it went directly back to partitioner. I tried different storage drives, different partitions, text and graphical modes, same results. It seems that it is not detecting my partition selection and yet it's selected. As of this time the install is stuck in a loop between partitioner and base install.

Of note this does not happen with MX linux or Ubuntu installs.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

P.S.> i just finished installing Mint linux on the same parition that debian wouldn't not install too, including PBR support that BootIT bare metal boot manager detects. Therefore if it works going to that much of an extent then...
It's a quad core amd system with 8gb of ram, crucial ssd and several WD HDDs.
It could be a sys-d issue since distros like PopOS and PureOS have problems installing and yet partitioner is referring GRUB and MBR together so i doubt that it is a sys-d issue.
The only other hint i can think of is that even Mx linux will give a 'unable to do soft reset' of the drives during install (text/DOS mode) at boot time. However that is not particularly an issue either. Since even Arch linux installs as well as partitioner perfectly detect the partitions.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Installation bug with partitioner but not the lock up ty

#2 Post by p.H »

What do you call "the lock up type" ?
Ductape wrote:Made and remade partitions with partitioner and partition wizard
What do you call " partitioner" and "partition wizard" ?
Did you select guided partitioning or manual partitioning ?
How did you partition the drives ? Partiiton table type, partitions, used as, mount points...
Ductape wrote:Ext 3 or 4 MBR and PRB
What do you call "ext 3 or 4 MBR and PRB" ?
Ductape wrote:at times the settings would stick and other times that would resend
What do you mean by "stick" and "resend" ?

Did you reach the screen wich lists the disk modifications which are about to be done and asks if you agree to proceed ?
Is there a message explaining why you cannot proceed to the next step ?
Ductape wrote:this does not happen with MX linux or Ubuntu installs.
Not the same installer. The Debian installer has its own glitches.
Ductape wrote:It could be a sys-d issue since distros like PopOS and PureOS have problems installing and yet partitioner is referring GRUB and MBR together so i doubt that it is a sys-d issue.
What do you call "sys-d" ?
What do you mean by "referring GRUB and MBR together" ?

Ductape

#3 Post by Ductape »

Seriously?

arid

#4 Post by arid »

Ductape wrote:Seriously?
Foo, I accidentally clicked on this site again. Darn old age shakes. :mrgreen:

You need to go back and pay attention to the steps during partitioning and make sure you observe all the choices and how to apply them.

It is very easy to go around in circles.

The obvious answer, and probably why the previous poster had a little fun with you, is simply don't use the partitioner.

If I've done one, I've done a hundred Debian installs on many different computers.

Of course I've never had a problem since I have only installed the real Debian: sid :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

arid wrote:the previous poster had a little fun with you
No, I didn't.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

It's well known in the outer ethers that those with an inhospitable environment for a babel fish also lack humor.