Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Reboot after installation goes into a blank screen

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ikevin8me

Reboot after installation goes into a blank screen

#1 Post by ikevin8me »

During installation, the graphics installer works (ie. it shows up and mouse is working, etc.). However, after successful installation and rebooted it, it goes into a blank screen. I suspect that it either switched into a different console or display, or uses different settings for the console/display.

What files should I edit to make the bootup from the installed OS the same as the installation CD?

This problem is related my previous post: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=149869, and I'm now thinking there might be a different solution than editing the grub. Please help. Thanks!

mm3100

Re: Reboot after installation goes into a blank screen

#2 Post by mm3100 »

Did you install using non-free iso? As it could be lack of necessary device firmware. I have seen people before saying how live version worked well, but once installed would get blank screen.

Can you switch to other terminals with ctrl+alt+F3? There you could check journal to see if there is missing firmware for gpu or microcode for cpu.

Or you can try to reinstall using non-free iso, here is link to non-free Debian 11, which is going to be released in 7 days.
https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... so-hybrid/

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Since this seems likely to be related to the hardware you have, is not telling us what you have really a good strategy?
MX Linux packager and developer

ikevin8me

#4 Post by ikevin8me »

I installed using "debian-10.10.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso".

I'm installing Debian on FreeBSD 13 using bhyve virtualization. The graphical installation works, but goes into blank screen on actual booting of the OS.

Also, I tried Ubtuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS and it works - both installation and actual bootup.

Since bhyve is open source, I don't think the "non-free" would apply here. Maybe I should wait for the actual Debian 11 release.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

The Debian xfce will be an x11 based, the Ubuntu maybe not. Check what Ubuntu is using for the video.