Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Finished clean Debian install and... nothing!? Double disks/OS, BIOS not UEFI [SOLVED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Finished clean Debian install and... nothing!?

#21 Post by CwF »

CwF wrote: 2021-08-14 14:53 .something along those lines. Good Luck
Did I say VERBOSE, exactly like I suggested - I didn't.

No offense, you are way over your head!

Start over and set up the simplest config as I suggested in my first response.

You are not equipped to complete a complicated install, or correct a borked one.

My instructions were intended to be tailored by YOU to the specific situation!!!

Prior to my posted sequence you would have arranged with set the location of these elements. The '#' commands are at a tty once booted. Blindly trying commands is not a good sign that I can infer a solution. Every time I've done a rescue there are slight variation of location and kernel names, etc.
Search the webs if you'd like to learn initramfs and grub rescue methods.

I apologize I offered advanced non-specific advice. Good Luck.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by p.H »

According to the output of "set", GRUB is supposed to be in /boot/grub in partition 3 which contains a root filesystem according to the output of "ls /".
What is the output of

Code: Select all

ls /boot
It should show vmlinuz-* and initrd.img-* files, and a grub/ directory. If it does, what is the output of

ls /boot/grub
It should show a grub.cfg file and a i386-pc/ directory. If it does, what is the output of

ls /boot/grub/i386-pc
It should show a lot of *.mod files.

jazbar

#23 Post by jazbar »

Is this any help?

Last edited by jazbar on 2021-08-16 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
My PC: MB MSI 790GX-G65, AMD Phenom II X3, 6 GB RAM, onboard graphic HD3300 DirectX 10, (AMD 790GX chipset)

jazbar

#24 Post by jazbar »

CwF wrote: 2021-08-15 13:23
CwF wrote: 2021-08-14 14:53 .something along those lines. Good Luck
Did I say VERBOSE, exactly like I suggested - I didn't.

No offense, you are way over your head!

Start over and set up the simplest config as I suggested in my first response.

You are not equipped to complete a complicated install, or correct a borked one.

My instructions were intended to be tailored by YOU to the specific situation!!!

Prior to my posted sequence you would have arranged with set the location of these elements. The '#' commands are at a tty once booted. Blindly trying commands is not a good sign that I can infer a solution. Every time I've done a rescue there are slight variation of location and kernel names, etc.
Search the webs if you'd like to learn initramfs and grub rescue methods.

I apologize I offered advanced non-specific advice. Good Luck.
Nothing to apologize. Just the fact I'm newbie in Debian and have no knowledge about Unix language.
My PC: MB MSI 790GX-G65, AMD Phenom II X3, 6 GB RAM, onboard graphic HD3300 DirectX 10, (AMD 790GX chipset)

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by p.H »

jazbar wrote: 2021-08-16 07:54 Is this any help?
Yes, thanks.
The kernel image and its initramfs are present, grub.cfg is present but GRUB modules are missing. This is really weird.
Fortunately GRUB modules are also present in /usr/lib/grub so you can try this workaround at the "grub rescue>" prompt :

set prefix=($root)/usr/lib/grub
insmod normal
normal
configfile ($root)/boot/grub/config.cfg
If you succeed to boot the system, reinstall GRUB with

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

jazbar

#26 Post by jazbar »

Tried all still no success.

image uploader

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by p.H »

Typo in the first "set prefix" (extra space).
The second one is correct but you did not re-run insmod and normal before running configfile.
dpkg-reconfigure must be run in a Linux root shell, not in GRUB shell.

jazbar

#28 Post by jazbar »

Hope this covers all commands?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#29 Post by p.H »

If one command returns an error, it is useless to run the other commands.

error: symbol 'grub_calloc' not found
means that the version of the GRUB modules in /usr/lib/grub does not match the version of the running GRUB core image.
In other words : you're nailed. You need to boot with another medium to reinstall GRUB properly.
My preference goes to the Debian installer in rescue mode.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#30 Post by CwF »

p.H wrote: 2021-08-16 12:19 Code: Select all

error: symbol 'grub_calloc' not found

means that the version of the GRUB modules in /usr/lib/grub does not match the version of the running GRUB core image.
This also occurs when root is on an encrypted volume and the key step has been skipped.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by p.H »

I fail to see how a symbol error could occur when the module cannot even be found.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#32 Post by CwF »

I've had that error once in that specific case. I need to guess on the first part of the issue, but i suspect an upgrade relocated grub on an encrypted installation. I'm foggy on the specifics, but the new grub was not asking for a key, needed a insmod luks to unlock. Possibly a new and old grub is as you say and it was a version issue, but in any case the encryption key step was, well 'key' to the fix.

jazbar

#33 Post by jazbar »

Is it OK to detach SATA cable from SSD and make clean Debian install on HDD as primary disk? And later dealing with the GRUB settings. Should I make one partition ex2 for GRUB, second for a Debian ex4 and third partition for a Swap?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#34 Post by p.H »

Disconnecting the SSD is fine. You will need to run update-grub when the SSD is reconnected to add it to GRUB boot menu.
An ext2 partition for GRUB only (/boot/grub) or /boot (including kernel images and initramfs) is not needed, but you can make one if you want.

jazbar

#35 Post by jazbar »

Debian is installed!

Thanks to all for helping me and using your valuable spare time on my problem.

Have a question beside how to update GRUB for 2 OS.

1. Is it possible and advisable to make extended partition /home and formated in extFAT to be read & write for both systems Windows and Debian. I like to using same folders like Documents, Download, Music, Videos... to store files? Or /home partition can be made only in Linux file system like ex4?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#36 Post by p.H »

jazbar wrote: 2021-08-16 19:47 Is it possible and advisable to make extended partition /home and formated in extFAT
Not possible to create a filesystem in an extended partition : it can only be used to contain logical partitions.
Not advisable (if even possible) to use a Windows filesystem such as exFAT for /home or any other GNU/Linux system directory : it lacks support of UNIX permissions, maybe some filename characters, special file types (symlink...).
jazbar wrote: 2021-08-16 19:47 I like to using same folders like Documents, Download, Music, Videos... to store files
You can replace the directories with symlinks pointing to another partition.
You may also consider using the UDF filesystem which is supported by both Linux and Windows and supports common Unix filesystem features.
Last edited by p.H on 2021-08-16 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#37 Post by CwF »

To share a selection of files simply use a usb drive. It works on both.

jazbar

#38 Post by jazbar »

Now after installation of the Debian OS is done on the HDD, how to change GRUB from single OS disk boot to double OS disks boot (Windows and Debian)?

Currently I can't access GRUB settings with the Shift key.
To fix that I used a following command: "sudo nano /etc/default/grub" which opens Nano terminal. Then I changed time from 5 sec. to 10 sec. "GRUB_TIMEOUT=10". Write it on, saved it with the enter and exit.
After exit the Nano terminal, I executed the command for the update "sudo update-grub".
root@ABC:/home/jazbar# sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-17-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64
Found Windows 8 on /dev/sda1
done
And guess what!? As It can be noted above, the GRUB was during updating time also detected Windows OS and set doublebooting. Which now works fine without any of additional settings in GRUB or in the terminal.
Last edited by jazbar on 2021-08-22 13:30, edited 2 times in total.

jazbar

#39 Post by jazbar »

p.H wrote: 2021-08-16 20:35
jazbar wrote: 2021-08-16 19:47 Is it possible and advisable to make extended partition /home and formated in extFAT
Not possible to create a filesystem in an extended partition : it can only be used to contain logical partitions.
Not advisable (if even possible) to use a Windows filesystem such as exFAT for /home or any other GNU/Linux system directory : it lacks support of UNIX permissions, maybe some filename characters, special file types (symlink...).
jazbar wrote: 2021-08-16 19:47 I like to using same folders like Documents, Download, Music, Videos... to store files
You can replace the directories with symlinks pointing to another partition.
You may also consider using the UDF filesystem which is supported by both Linux and Windows and supports common Unix filesystem features.
Windows can't see UDF Linux partition. Suppose this is Windows problem? Should I formatting this partition to NTFS? Or there is solution in Windows OS to make? Shouid be this partition mount or not in order to be read & write?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Finished clean Debian install and... nothing!? Double disks/OS, BIOS not UEFI [SOLVED]

#40 Post by p.H »

There are many variants of UDF. Maybe some are not supported by Windows. You can format the partition from Windows with the "format" command.
The problem with NTFS is that the ntfs-3g driver uses FUSE (filesystem in userland) which degrades performance.
Last edited by p.H on 2021-08-21 14:07, edited 1 time in total.