Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

keysign password lost

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rtoledo2002

keysign password lost

#1 Post by rtoledo2002 »

greetings. I just did my first Debian install in quite a few years, I was not paying attention during the install , when the keysign app asked me to create a key , I did noy use the root or the user passowrd. but something different and I mispalced that info.

so as root I used synaptic to un-install keysign and delte all files . I re installed it and when I run the app , it still shows my key . so I have looked all over the net and all I find is pgp and keysigning parties.

I need to know where that key is stored at ? so I can delte it and start fresh

I'm old and my memory fails me, but I was playing around with vnc server and viewer on this main machine and my laptop, anyways I forgot which one of these vnc related files i ran , when it popped up the keysign app asking me for the password

I understand IF you can't help.

thank you in advance
best regards from
Roman Toledo

rtoledo2002

Re: keysign password lost

#2 Post by rtoledo2002 »

I left out this is Debian 11 bullseye sorry
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-08-18 18-42-01.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-18 18-42-01.png (183.39 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

rtoledo2002

#3 Post by rtoledo2002 »

SOLVED : but in order to help newbies like me in the future . I would like to say how I solved it. prepare to laugh .
So using Gnome I switched to su and proceeded to look for any file that had the name key*.* and deleted quite a few , then using Synaptic I UN installed keysign clicking on deleting all files. rebooted , re installed keysign and the darn key was still there.

After many searched I came across a post talking about KDE having a graphical file manager that worked under ROOT privileges , did the same as the paragraph above with same results.

came home today fresh reboot into KDE Plasma and was just clicking on the bottom bar and found HIDDEN icons a la Windows style (something I HATE ) and there was one called KGpg , so I clicked on it , and there was my peski key, except this program had the options to DELETE it. so I deleted the key that I had lost the password for and made anew one with a very old and seldom used 30 character password that I will never forget even if I get Alzheimer .

I hope it helps someone in the future

Best Regards
Roman Toledo Casabona

rtoledo2002

#4 Post by rtoledo2002 »

kgpg 2 .jpg
kgpg 2 .jpg (116.34 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

mm3100

#5 Post by mm3100 »

Can you add [SOLVED] to tile please, so rest know you solved it when searching.