Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

install debian 11 on single partition

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
milad0123

install debian 11 on single partition

#1 Post by milad0123 »

hi.
I think creating a separate home partition affects system performance and reduces it (iknow,maybe im wrong :) )
so can i install debian on single partition?
i mean,just create one root / partition.
does it create swap file automatically like ubuntu, or i have to create it after install?
thanks.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: install debian 11 on single partition

#2 Post by steve_v »

milad0123 wrote: 2021-08-19 05:44I think creating a separate home partition affects system performance and reduces it (iknow,maybe im wrong :) )
You are. Multiple partitions have no effect on performance, with the possible exception of swap on mechanical HDDs - there a separate swap partition can in fact improve performance due to reduced fragmentation and the ability to place it on the fastest part of the disk.
milad0123 wrote: 2021-08-19 05:44can i install debian on single partition?
Of course. Why wouldn't you?
You'll still need an EFI partition if EFI is your thing, but that's another matter entirely.
milad0123 wrote: 2021-08-19 05:44does it create swap file automatically like ubuntu
It does not, AFAIK... Though that may have changed since my last install.
Just create one yourself, it's not hard, and swap isn't needed at install-time unless you're running on 20 year old hardware. Even then you can drop out of the installer to add swap if you need it.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

invoinvo

Re: install debian 11 on single partition

#3 Post by invoinvo »

a boot (/boot)
partition (/)
and
swap space

that should do the tricks.