Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can I use installer's network setup in installed system ?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
laptopadmin

Can I use installer's network setup in installed system ?

#1 Post by laptopadmin »

Hi,

I have just installed debian 10.10 (buster, bullseye w/ firmware wasn t a good option) off-line, but skipped the network setup. After getting the firmware files I needed, i did an apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi* .

Now my problem is, can I get back into the network setup in the debian installer ? this would be very practical.

I tried to set the network up myself, but coming from bsd with no linux knowledge, i did not get very far :

The installation guide does not seem to mention how to do this. I am trying to follow the steps in the manual's network setup chapter (5):

I got out the name of the device,dmesg says
wlp0s12f0: renamed from wlan0
i put this into /etc/network/interfaces, as described in the manual. However, what codepage do I use to convert the wpa-psk password string into hexadecimal ?? Without it, when i try to run ifup on this device name, i get an empty value error (--edit: i tried to use whatever the sytem does by passing the password to hexdump, but tumbled into the next error '/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1')

It would be quicker if I could just use the network setup script in the installer, but where do I find that, and how do I start it ?

mm3100

Re: Can I use installer's network setup in installed system ?

#2 Post by mm3100 »

Installed uses wpa_supplicant and network manager to manage wifi connections. You can manually connect using nmcli during installation, easier then to use ifupdown. I don't think it will be saved after, so you will have to connect again once installation is done. But I am unsure about that part.

laptopadmin

#3 Post by laptopadmin »

Thanks

nmcli device wifi connect "modemname" hidden yes password "thepassword"
->Device 'wlp0s12f0' successfully activated with ...
does it, i still need to figure out how to get the password from a file, but this got the connection up, so I am good.

And I won't need the installer after all.

mm3100

#4 Post by mm3100 »

Once you connect to network it will be saved in profile /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections. So you don't have to write in name and password of wifi every time. All you have to do is

Code: Select all

nmcli connection up "name"
nmcli connection down "name"
To check saved connections use nmcli connection show.