Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing sid via netinst

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
robind3r

Installing sid via netinst

#1 Post by robind3r »

Hello everyone.
I would like to clean install from the netinst disk using sid repositories.
I am new to Linux but have recently installed Debian on my Chromebook. I didn't have any driver issues except for the audio, and as a result of lot's of research I found out that my soundcard is supported by newer versions of ALSA.
I added the sid apt specifications to the sources.list file but kept getting errors and breaking my installation.
I have reinstalled the operating system (without installing any extra software) several times to no avail; after running `apt upgrade` I keep getting the same kind of errors;
apparently there is something funny going on with `libcrypt.so.1` but even trying to update libc6 and manually copying the file from the x86_64 folder around gives the same errors except requesting for a mysterious XCRYPT_2.0 version...
All I want is to be able to cleanly install Debian sid to revive my laptop.
Any help would be appreciated!

Lysander

Re: Installing sid via netinst

#2 Post by Lysander »

Chromebooks are horrendous to install Linux on.

Secondly, since you are new to Linux, sid is not something you should be installing. It will likely create more problems than it will solve. I can also nearly guarantee you that audio will not work either.

The only distro I have found to work with audio on Chromebooks is Ubuntu and even then you need to implement a special fix. I'll try to find the link for it.

EDIT: Found it: https://alexandre.iooss.fr/chromebook-linux/
Last edited by Lysander on 2021-08-19 15:11, edited 3 times in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

If you are new to Linux Sid is probably not the best choice for you. Stable would be better.
kept getting errors and breaking my installation.
You need to tell us EXACTLY what those error messages are so we can understand.

robind3r

#4 Post by robind3r »

I understand the risk but I am willing to give up stability as I am willing to use this as a learning experience as well;
The errors are perl related:

/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I copied the shared files I instead got:

/usr/bin/perl: /lib/libcrypt.so.1: version 'XCRYPT_2.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/perl)

These errors appear during the installation process of apt upgrade regarding the installed packages from the basic debian installation.
It is worth noting that every time this happened aptitude would break and not allow me to fix installation or do basically anything until i reinstalled the OS

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

That's only normal when you are using sid. I think not the best approach when you are new to Linux.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

I think, if you want a learning experience with sid, that a Chromebook is one of the worst machines you could do it on, and not one which is very representative of other bare metal installs. It will give you more issues than normal, not all of which will be fixable.

robind3r

#7 Post by robind3r »

Ok I understand. Is there a way to let debian stable use a newer alsa version than the one provided in the buster repositories then?

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

Consider MX Linux with “Advanced Hardware Support”

Lysander

#9 Post by Lysander »

robind3r wrote: 2021-08-19 16:15 Ok I understand. Is there a way to let debian stable use a newer alsa version than the one provided in the buster repositories then?
You mean Bullseye? Since that is the current stable, only released a few days ago.

I think you may find - this is where my experience drops out - that the issue is not version A v version B but the configuration of such packages.

See the link I posted earlier, in which it says:
The Intel Atom Processor Audio Controller chtmax98090 works natively under Linux 4.15 but it isn’t properly configured out of the box. This results in no correct mixer control making sound unusable.
This means that third parties have to make certain things workable for Chromebooks.

That is if you are using the same audio processor. If you are not, it gets harder.

First things first, we really need to see a complete breakdown of your system via

Code: Select all

inxi -F
If you do not have inxi installed, install it.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by cds60601 »

robind3r wrote: 2021-08-19 16:15 Ok I understand. Is there a way to let debian stable use a newer alsa version than the one provided in the buster repositories then?
As someone mentioned, moving to Sid is not for the inexperienced. That being said, you might consider the testing branch. Its more stable than Sid, yet not as much as stable.
If this is something you wish to try, grab the latest Testing Non-Free image - these images are created once a week. You might have some luck at that point and still be relatively stable.

If Testing works for you and you have ran it for a while (meaning 6 to 12 months) you may feel adventurous and give Sid a spin. By that time, Sid will have calmed down some as far as the flood gates of packages being added currently.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious