Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot errors with Dell Latitude 5420 and Debian

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
papatechy

Boot errors with Dell Latitude 5420 and Debian

#1 Post by papatechy »

I am facing issues using Debian with Dell Latitude 5420. Listing below my observations/stuff I have tried to overcome

1. Both Buster (10.10) and Bullseye install DVD is able to complete installation.
2. But after shutdown and startup, system goes into endless hang. Messages like watchdog: ;BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s etc come on screen.
3. Only way out is to hold power button until machine switches off.
4. Live CD of bullseye has exact same issue.
5. If it makes Debian feel any better, Ubuntu installer simply doesn't start! (both 20 and 21 latest)

However, if I boot again from install DVD (both Buster and Bullseye) and go into rescue mode, seek a / prompt and just reboot, it boots fine!

Which means a cold boot has some issue with Intel microcode (my guess).

I tried disabling microcode update using dis_ucode_ldr but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
I originally attributed issue to iwlwifi but removing it doesn't help. I did fresh install without any iwlwifi.
My CPU info shows family 6, i5-1145G7, Stepping 1, microcode 0x88.
After a successful boot using rescue described above, journalctl shows microcode as sg: 0x806c1, pf=0x80 revision: 0x86.

Thanks for any help. Right now my SSD is on Buster as part of my experiments.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Boot errors with Dell Latitude 5420 and Debian

#2 Post by Aki »

Can you send a photo of the screen with the kernel error or a video recording of the boot sequence ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

papatechy

#3 Post by papatechy »

Hi thanks for the response. I was away for a couple of days, sorry for delay.
I re-installed Bullseye after playing around with Buster and facing similar issue. Nothing that wasn't in the ISO downloaded (not the non-free, just the regular one) has been installed.
It boots ok upon restart but cold boot gives error seen in this picture.
I have saved copy of dmesg into a text file white it booted OK upon restart. I can post extracts if needed.
At that point where the picture ends I pressed off switch for few seconds to end that. As it doesn't appear to be an issue that clears itself. I have in the past waited much longer with similar output.

https://ibb.co/qYjqbW7
Last edited by papatechy on 2021-08-22 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

papatechy

#4 Post by papatechy »

I am posting lines related to microcode in successful boot (restart not power-off and boot), just in case it is needed

[ 1.057883] microcode: sig=0x806c1, pf=0x80, revision=0x86
[ 1.057900] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,
I suppose that probably this is not a microcode issue. The log in the posted image shows that the process systemd-udev is stuck, probably during a device inizialisation. The log does not show which device is involved, it only shows that the graphic card firmware is missing. It could be useful to check a complete log from the start of the boot process to try to identify the offending device. You could also boot or install from an installer with firmware: you can find those type of installers here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

Edit: the last part of the log shows that lvm service is stuck. Try to install without using lvm (logic volume manager) during disk setup.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

papatechy

#6 Post by papatechy »

Hi thanks I'll try.. My original install was without lvm. So it could be other drivers. I'll try with the link you posted.

Is dmesg > file.txt the right way to identify? I did that and can post relevant parts if that'll help to zoom in

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello,
The dmesg output can be useful, even better the /var/log/syslog output or the output of journalctl, if available. But, how can you get those logs if system does not boot ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

papatechy

#8 Post by papatechy »

Hi the system did boot after initial install and restart. In fact it boots if I boot up the install DVD, choose rescue, get to the stage where it gives / on the SSD. Then I simply restart it boots! As I mentioned in my OP

Obviously that's not good for regular use lol.

That's why I think something in the regular boot causes it to freeze.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Aki »

HI,
I am looking forward your logs
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

papatechy

#10 Post by papatechy »

Hi sadly, even after installing using the non-free DVD ISO downloaded, it is giving exact same issue..
Which part of output from journalctl you think I need? As always, immediate reboot after install is OK. But not cold boot after full power off.
I have the text file. (see below). This is after the warm boot immediately after install.
I have not posted image of issue as it is exactly the same as above.

https://www.filemail.com/d/ittoreycpvvmwhh

papatechy

#11 Post by papatechy »

I received a suggestion by DM from member bw123.

I added acpi=off after the quiet in the startup kernel parameter. That seems to do the trick!!
Thanks for the suggestion bw123 and also Aki for your analysis and suggestions.

I do hope leaving that setting on permanently will be OK. I edited /etc/default/grub to incorporate that and did grub-update.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by Aki »

papatechy wrote: 2021-08-22 14:20 I received a suggestion by DM from member bw123. I added acpi=off after the quiet in the startup kernel parameter. That seems to do the trick!!
Good, that's a nice guess, kudos to user bw123 ! This could be the starting point to boot the system, complete the configuration of the operating system, install missing firmware and further investigate why acpi=off is required (system power management is completely disabled with it).

Glad to have helped you, with user bw123, to sort it out.

Happy Debian and happy hacking.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

papatechy

#13 Post by papatechy »

One side effect of that is that shutdown doesn't happen.. It hangs at various points initially at KVM virtualization. When I blacklisted that now it's another one. Udev.

I've to press the off switch until it turns off. That switch is already overworked lol.

I'm checking further... Any tips will be great. I've done apt install firmware nonfree etc and wireless seems to work now. I still can't put back the acpi. It needs to be off to reboot.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by Aki »

papatechy wrote: 2021-08-22 15:28 I'm checking further... Any tips will be great.
Hello papatechy,
Since at the moment you can boot the system then you could analyze the full system log of the last boot recorded in the system journal in search of clues and evidences. An hardware probe could useful, too.

For example, you can issue the following commands as root user:

Code: Select all

apt install inxi
journalctl --no-pager > journalctl.log
inxi -F -xxx > inxi.log
Then, you can analyze the journalctl.log and inxi.log or share them here in the forum.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

papatechy

#15 Post by papatechy »

Thanks! I'll start another thread after bit more of self service. Many thanks for sparing your time.

Inxi didn't report anything abnormal just a long list of hardware resources driver details etc

May be I'm using too new hardware lol. Never had issues with HP Elitebook old gen even on bullseye beta.