Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Apt Autoremove problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
imazed

Apt Autoremove problem

#1 Post by imazed »

Newly installed Bullseye. Apt Autoremove is breaking unrelated applications
1. Removed LightDM and apt also removed network-manager and network-manager-gnome
2. I removed something (sorry I forgot what) using apt purge then ran apt autoremove it listed other applications that had nothing to do with what I removed I then used apt-mark to flag those I wanted as manual install thinking this was a one off.
3. I used Synaptic to remove anthy and checked that it had not flagged anything else. If I then run apt autoremove it wants to remove parole, mousepad and a whole list of xfce4 utilities. I went back to synaptic and manually installed any I want.
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is a major problem with apt.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

mm3100

Re: Apt Autoremove problem

#2 Post by mm3100 »

You probably removed a metapackage, so everything else that was listed as dependency of it got marked for autoremove.

imazed

#3 Post by imazed »

Thanks, but I don't think so Anthy is not in a meta-package with mousepad and parole!
However, I just re-installed Anthy and then marked for complete removal nothing else flagged/
apt autoremove behaved as it should.
So just an aberration of the system, or me.
I will treat this post as solved and re-post with better detail if it happens again.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

imazed wrote: 2021-08-21 11:53 1. Removed LightDM
...which was part of a meta-package, like a xfce4 desktop one, that also had other stuff, like
imazed wrote: 2021-08-21 11:53 it wants to remove parole, mousepad and a whole list of xfce4 utilities.
...the details should have been logged. You could look it up. There is no issue really. User mistake.

arid

#5 Post by arid »

Sigh :mrgreen:

You are the perfect candidate for a 100% synaptic user.

Why you would switch back and forth between apt & synaptic?

Synaptic will not let you screw up the way you did.

Perusing the threads here leads me to believe that maybe a handful of posters have taken the time to acquaint themselves with all the functions of synaptic which are awesome to say the least.

Just to reference your non-problems, synaptic will allow you to re-mark any and all parts of a meta-packages so now they are independent.

You can see the properties of all packages such as dependencies and what is dependent on them and much more.

One thing you absolutely, positively want to do is tell synaptic not to install recommended packages.

You do know of all the settings in synaptic, don't you?

I have better things to do with my life than babysit my computers and if I can't click for a function then I need to find one in the 65,488 packages available on sid/experimental at this very moment that will do the job.
There's no drama in my sid......

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

arid wrote: 2021-08-21 21:31100% synaptic user.
A few years ago when the path was stretch to buster, synaptic needed a terminal excursion to respond 'Yes' that status change to stable is accepted...so not 100%.

This upgrade on the same (jessie) systems that terminal drop is no longer required!

So Yes, Synaptic does it all, 100%.
There is no need for a command line.

With that said, I have already revealed I drop to down to tty aptitude for speed...

bumankumar3

#7 Post by bumankumar3 »

I will treat this post as solved and re-post with better detail if it happens again. boi hrms
teatv apk