Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help! Live USB boots to a black screen with error

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kishoreg

Help! Live USB boots to a black screen with error

#1 Post by kishoreg »

So I have a laptop (Dell G3 3779) with Windows 10 and Pop OS installed (both are on seperate hard drives). Recently, I installed some Dell UEFI Firmware update though Windows 10 and everything was working fine. Both Windows and Pop OS booted normally.

I wanted to delete my Pop OS installation and replace it with Debian 11, so I downloaded one of the nonfree (unofficial) ISOs and burned it to a flash drive. However, when I entered my boot menu to boot from that live USB, it goes to a black screen with the following error message:

set_second_stage() failed: Invalid parameter Something has gone seriously wrong: shim_init() failed: Invalid parameter

Then it shuts off. I don't know why this happened, as I've installed Debian and booted from USB before, so maybe the firmware update did something? Secure Boot is Disabled, so I'm not sure how to fix this issue. I've also tried installing other Debian ISOs like the live install version (nonfree) but the same thing happens.

How do I fix this?

kishoreg

Re: Help! Live USB boots to a black screen with error

#2 Post by kishoreg »

Any suggestions would be appreciated

mm3100

#3 Post by mm3100 »

How did you create bootable media, it seems that there is the problem? Did you check hash of the iso?

Also secure boot works with Debian since Buster, no need to disable it. It should work fine without it.

kishoreg

#4 Post by kishoreg »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-08-23 07:52 How did you create bootable media, it seems that there is the problem? Did you check hash of the iso?

Also secure boot works with Debian since Buster, no need to disable it. It should work fine without it.
I created it using Rufus (a popular Windows program). It doesn't seem to be an issue with the program nor the USB, since right after I was able to succesfully flash Ubuntu onto it using the same program and it was able to launch into the live USB installer without any issue. So its definitely an issue with the Debian ISO.

I've talked with others and some who are facing the same error message say it only affects the Debian 11 ISOs, so I will try to install a Debian 10 nonfree ISO and do a dist-upgrage to Debian 11 instead of installing the Debian 11 ISO from the start. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is affecting the Debian 11 ISO that's causing this, but i've tried the regular version, the unofficial nonfree versions, the live/regular versions, but all of them give the same black screen with the aforementioned error message. Maybe some kind of bug?

mm3100

#5 Post by mm3100 »

It is possible it is a bug, but did you try to create Debian iso using dd option in rufus?

kishoreg

#6 Post by kishoreg »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-08-24 13:19 It is possible it is a bug, but did you try to create Debian iso using dd option in rufus?
I did not, I just did the first option because it said it was "recommended". I will try with the DD option and see if that changes anything