Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Partitioning during install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Woodfish

Partitioning during install

#1 Post by Woodfish »

Hi, I'm 69 and very new to this, so if anyone is kind enough to read this, please dont assume a level of knowledge that probably doesnt exist :) . My daughter gave me an old notebook (an Advent 4211-C) and I am trying to repurpose it to run my recently acquired 3D printer, and other little projects to keep dimenture at bay.
Its a great little tool but was deadly slow running under Windows (which I have never really liked anyway) so I thought it would be good to try something new and wanted to try installing Raspberry Desktop. I followed the instructions carefully and all went well initially.
I took all the default options and came to a stop with the following message whilst partitioning "The ext2 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed" I tried Help to no avail, and spent some time asking friends who were even less able than I, judging by the answers received.
I have never tried doing anything like this before ut have spent about 4 hours doing various searches with finding any help. I would be really grateful for any advice or direction.
Thanks & Regards

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Partitioning during install

#2 Post by arochester »

Odd. If you search for
The ext2 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed
the first results all show ext4

When partitioning did you choose "Use whole disk" or did you do it manually?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 installing Raspberry Desktop. I followed the instructions carefully and all went well initially.
Raspberry?

frazatto

#4 Post by frazatto »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 Its a great little tool but was deadly slow running under Windows (which I have never really liked anyway) so I thought it would be good to try something new and wanted to try installing Raspberry Desktop. I followed the instructions carefully and all went well initially.
Very cool of you for doing it, be patient with us though, not many people will have the experience to actually guide you to a simple solution.

I never tried Raspbian outside of a Raspberry Pi developing board, this may be the origin of your problem and the reason there is no information about it readily available.

May I suggest you try something a little more oriented to the beginner Linux enthusiast?
I had a great experience transitioning from Windows with Linux Mint and it should be perfectly functional on your apparently outdated hardware.
https://linuxmint.com/

You said we should consider you have little to no knowledge of anything we talk here, so it may be better if I explain that although those are all technically "Linux" Operational Systems, they are not all the same. That is what we call "Distros" (from distributions) and they can change very little from each other or really A LOT depending on the degree of specialization the target environment requires.

Like I said, Raspbian is primarily made to run on a Raspberry Pi development board.
Debian (this forum's dedicated distro) is for people with already some tech skill and somewhat familiar with the linux day to day struggles.
And Linux Mint is a somewhat more friendly distro for beginners.

Let we know how it goes o/

ComputerBob

#5 Post by ComputerBob »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 ...I am trying to repurpose it to run my recently acquired 3D printer, and other little projects to keep dimenture at bay.
VERY COOL! I wish you all the best!!!
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

For those who are not sure... it is possible to install the Raspberry Pi Desktop on Debian PC. Not on a Raspberry Pi, not Raspbian...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/ra ... i-desktop/

Woodfish

#7 Post by Woodfish »

arochester wrote: 2021-08-31 14:45 Odd. If you search for
The ext2 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed
the first results all show ext4

When partitioning did you choose "Use whole disk" or did you do it manually?
Many thanks for the response, I took the “Use whole disk” option as this was recommended for beginners.
Thanks & Regards

Woodfish

#8 Post by Woodfish »

frazatto wrote: 2021-08-31 20:43
Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 Its a great little tool but was deadly slow running under Windows (which I have never really liked anyway) so I thought it would be good to try something new and wanted to try installing Raspberry Desktop. I followed the instructions carefully and all went well initially.
Very cool of you for doing it, be patient with us though, not many people will have the experience to actually guide you to a simple solution.

I never tried Raspbian outside of a Raspberry Pi developing board, this may be the origin of your problem and the reason there is no information about it readily available.

May I suggest you try something a little more oriented to the beginner Linux enthusiast?
I had a great experience transitioning from Windows with Linux Mint and it should be perfectly functional on your apparently outdated hardware.
https://linuxmint.com/

You said we should consider you have little to no knowledge of anything we talk here, so it may be better if I explain that although those are all technically "Linux" Operational Systems, they are not all the same. That is what we call "Distros" (from distributions) and they can change very little from each other or really A LOT depending on the degree of specialization the target environment requires.

Like I said, Raspbian is primarily made to run on a Raspberry Pi development board.
Debian (this forum's dedicated distro) is for people with already some tech skill and somewhat familiar with the linux day to day struggles.
And Linux Mint is a somewhat more friendly distro for beginners.

Let we know how it goes o/
Hi, Thanks for the reply, just like life sometimes you choose the wrong path. My other choice was to go Linux Mint🤯, but I decided to go something different as it seemed easier, particularly as I have some development projects in mind.
This whole project for me revolves around keeping my mind active so I’m going to persist with Debian for now, (the little Linux Mint devil is on my shoulder now though😈).
Thanks & Regards
great that there is a super community here and I really appreciate all the assistance.

Woodfish

#9 Post by Woodfish »

arochester wrote: 2021-09-01 13:59 For those who are not sure... it is possible to install the Raspberry Pi Desktop on Debian PC. Not on a Raspberry Pi, not Raspbian...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/ra ... i-desktop/
Hi, Thanks for the response, this exact piece is the genesis of my little project.
Thanks & Regards
Great community here, Every day is a learning day.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 wanted to try installing Raspberry Desktop
What is this ? A distribution ? What installation image are you using ?
Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 "The ext2 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed"
If you are using the classic Debian installer, error messages often do not provide enough information. Extra information is usually available in the logs. You can watch the logs either by switching to tty4 (Alt+F4 from the text installer, Ctrl+Alt+F4 from graphical installer), or by switching to tty2 ((Ctrl)+Alt+F2) and print /var/log/syslog with cat, more...

frazatto

#11 Post by frazatto »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-03 10:58 This whole project for me revolves around keeping my mind active so I’m going to persist with Debian for now, (the little Linux Mint devil is on my shoulder now though😈).
If you want a similar experience to Raspberry on full Debian, try xfce version (I think, not sure).

Mint has it's own Debian porting, they call it LMDE.
It has a little more fat than the original, but when I used it was on version 2, so they probably made improvements since.

I used to run those on a 2011 MacBook Air with 2Gb of RAM, so I'm sure any Linux distro you end up using will do the job.

Woodfish

#12 Post by Woodfish »

p.H wrote: 2021-09-03 13:28
Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 wanted to try installing Raspberry Desktop
What is this ? A distribution ? What installation image are you using ?
Woodfish wrote: 2021-08-31 14:22 "The ext2 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed"
If you are using the classic Debian installer, error messages often do not provide enough information. Extra information is usually available in the logs. You can watch the logs either by switching to tty4 (Alt+F4 from the text installer, Ctrl+Alt+F4 from graphical installer), or by switching to tty2 ((Ctrl)+Alt+F2) and print /var/log/syslog with cat, more...
Hi, thanks for the response. The image came from Raspberry.org, I am assuming that they would use the most stable recent release, that mayor may not be the Classic image either way I think that you are on the right track and will try to get a to get a look at the logs from the Graphical Installer.
Thanks & Regards

Woodfish

#13 Post by Woodfish »

frazatto wrote: 2021-09-03 14:21
Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-03 10:58 This whole project for me revolves around keeping my mind active so I’m going to persist with Debian for now, (the little Linux Mint devil is on my shoulder now though😈).
If you want a similar experience to Raspberry on full Debian, try xfce version (I think, not sure).

Mint has it's own Debian porting, they call it LMDE.
It has a little more fat than the original, but when I used it was on version 2, so they probably made improvements since.

I used to run those on a 2011 MacBook Air with 2Gb of RAM, so I'm sure any Linux distro you end up using will do the job.
Hi, the call of Linux Mint is getting ever more allurring! I'm going to follow up with the logs idea from p.H and see what that brings as I tend to agree that the quality of error messages appears sparse. A friend also suggested replacing the HDD with a new informatted SSD, as Windows installs tend to leave so much junk behind.
Thanks & Regards

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by p.H »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-04 12:33 The image came from Raspberry.org
This is not very useful. I guess there are plenty of images available at raspberry.org.
Can't you provide the complete URL or at least the full name of the image file ?
Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-04 12:43 A friend also suggested replacing the HDD with a new informatted SSD, as Windows installs tend to leave so much junk behind
Nonsense. If you use the whole disk with guided partitioning, a new blank partition table is created and any "junk left behind by Windows" is irrelevant.

Woodfish

#15 Post by Woodfish »

p.H wrote: 2021-09-04 17:14
Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-04 12:33 The image came from Raspberry.org
This is not very useful. I guess there are plenty of images available at raspberry.org.
Can't you provide the complete URL or at least the full name of the image file ?
Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-04 12:43 A friend also suggested replacing the HDD with a new informatted SSD, as Windows installs tend to leave so much junk behind
Nonsense. If you use the whole disk with guided partitioning, a new blank partition table is created and any "junk left behind by Windows" is irrelevant.
I hope this attachment helps, as I said previously I still have my 'L' plates on, so please bear with my lack of knowledge.
Regards
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 11.12.36.png
Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 11.12.36.png (37.29 KiB) Viewed 8201 times

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by p.H »

This is not an official Debian installation image. I do not know how it differs from the vanilla Debian installer. Advice given in my first post may not apply. You have been warned.

Woodfish

#17 Post by Woodfish »

I dont know what I am being warned about but I'll make sure I dont do it again

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

That RaspberryPi OS is designed for RaspberryPi computers and contains specific drivers and firmware etc. for those. (Incorrect, thanks pH). Probably does not contain some drivers needed for other hardware.
I have an ASUS EeePC which is similar age to your netbook and similarly low powered. It needs a very light distro, currently has Antix but struggles to do any heavier work like internet browsing with only 1GB RAM. Plays music fine which is its only current role. Give Antix a try - https://antixlinux.com/
There are live Debian images available which you can run from USB drive to see if it works fine and can then install directly from the booted live system. The lightest desktops available are LXQt or LXDE - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

Woodfish wrote: 2021-09-14 13:51 I dont know what I am being warned about
I warned you that the advice I gave in my first post may not apply to this distribution, so don't complain if you follow them and don't get the expected result.
sunrat wrote: 2021-09-14 15:18 RaspberryPi OS is designed for RaspberryPi computers and contains specific drivers and firmware etc. for those.
Come on. This image is not designed for Raspberry Pi (ARM) computers. It is designed for PC/Mac (x86) computers.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

p.H wrote: 2021-09-14 16:51
sunrat wrote: 2021-09-14 15:18 RaspberryPi OS is designed for RaspberryPi computers and contains specific drivers and firmware etc. for those.
Come on. This image is not designed for Raspberry Pi (ARM) computers. It is designed for PC/Mac (x86) computers.
OK, you're right. Was 2am when I posted. Can you confirm this should install on OP's computer?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!