Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Creating a Master Installation Disk for Replication to Multiple systems

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bklynse

Creating a Master Installation Disk for Replication to Multiple systems

#1 Post by bklynse »

Hello,

I have at least 15 older systems (Dell Vostro 200) that are licensed to only run Microsoft Windows XP.

I am looking to deploy these systems using Debian Linux because:
1) Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft; and
2) The Web Browsers for this OS are no longer supported.

What I would like to do is create a Master Installation Disk that I can replicate for all the other systems. I want to set up my master system installation once with all the applications (web browser, Libre Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.) and then replicate that system image

With Microsoft Windows, I must use their Sysprep tool after creating a master system installation. I can then replicate that disk and provides each system with an "OOBE" (Out of Box Experience) .

How can I accomplish the same thing with Debian Linux? Is it just as simple as creating the master system installation disk and then replicating that? Or, are other steps involved once the Master System Installation has been created?

Many thanks for any assistance rendered.
--
Anthony

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Creating a Master Installation Disk for Replication to Multiple systems

#2 Post by CwF »

An easy way is to create your image as a vm. If it is suitable to simply install a disk and fire it up, that can be done. Or boot a live usb and image to the internal drive, kinda slow, and reboot. Using qemu utilities or guestfs all editing is done on the master machine from a golden image, during image creation. Check out virt-clone and virt-sysprep... Then copy to the usb installer-helper, or image to a physical disk to be installed.

If that sounds complicated, then there should be a few ways to create an installer to install your preferred config if it is preferable to sit and wait out an actual install. Others can chime in on that.

IMO, a disk install is the fastest way, and the least obvious. Spending however long to get the image right and written to the individual disk pays with an on-site half hour to get them all fired up.

Decide what, if anything needs to be unique. Technically, nothing does. They can all run a common image and work together. IP's will be unique, that's enough. User, domain, uuid, machine-id, etc, etc may or may not need to be. If collected ahead of time, MAC matches can be included in a single image for all machines used, to name networks, etc. This allows for a single image to be the backup for any/all machines.

C.S.Cameron

#3 Post by C.S.Cameron »

- Create your Master OS.
- Use Gnome-Disks to 'Create Disk Image'. This will create a .IMG file of your Master OS.
- Create a Persistent Live USB or external drive using mkusb: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb ... -to-debian
- Make the 'usbdata' partition large enough for the new .IMG file.
- You can plug the USB into each computer and use dd, Etcher, mkusb or Disks to flash the image file overwriting it's HDD.
- If you don't mind removing the HDD's, Etcher can flash to multiple drives at once and can do large drives.

seeker5528

#4 Post by seeker5528 »

There is simple-cdd that can be used to create a custom install disk, or the Debian Live stuff for a custom live disk with an option to install.

Not sure what you would do if you wanted to install it, then have an OOBE type of experience on the first/next boot.

https://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD/Howto

https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/