Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[d-i] root password instructions :)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[d-i] root password instructions :)

#1 Post by wizard10000 »

crossposted from r/Debian

Spamming this to fdn because I think it's a discussion that needs to be had - would like to open discussion on the topic and see how the community feels. I'm thinking a wishlist bug won't get me where I think we want to be - what do y'all think?
I may be in the minority here but I think one thing d-i could improve is the whole screen where Debian asks you to set a root password.

I'm a longtime Debian user and I spun up a Debian VM on my laptop yesterday just for fun - text in the the netinstall image at least is strongly biased toward setting a root password and there's a oneliner (actually I think it's two lines) at the bottom of a paragraph or so of text that tells you that you get added to sudoers if you don't.

Thinking that anyone who needs a root password already knows how to set one I'd like to see su and sudo options carry equal weight on the d-i screen, or maybe even a slight bias toward sudo for those installing Debian for the first time.

Debian already defaults to sudo and I think this is one place where we could make things a little easier for new users.

Discuss? Not sure a wishlist bug is gonna go anywhere so I wanted to get some input from the community :)

cheers -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [d-i] root password instructions :)

#2 Post by CwF »

If it were only that simple!

That section of an install does need to be more clear. I wouldn't support a bias to sudo. Polkit could be used to nearly the same extent. If so, setting up authority for at least one enabled user deserves a setup section in the installer for it to avoid chicken eggs. Then we have an extra and complicated step, so that's not good either...So sudo is established, at the moment, which is the advantage.

I've mentioned elsewhere I set up a master user that is not root, I use images with no sudo installed at all. So there is no 'better' in my opinion. Other than the persistent conflation of personal systems and mission control centers, a simple paragraph in the installer is all we need. Maybe more prominent than displayed now.

Overall, you either know for yourself already, or you could try again!

brian_p

#3 Post by brian_p »

The situation is crystal clear: give a root password or use sudo. Even if the two choices were presented on the same screen (think of all the d-i changes involved), it still amounts to the same choice. You are fussing about nothing.
--
Brian.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

brian_p wrote: 2021-09-05 17:55...You are fussing about nothing.
Really not fussing about anything, just tossing an idea out there; I think it would make things easier, most people disagreed. I don't get to win all the time, just ask my wife :mrgreen:

cheers -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin