Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Settings Display Laptop ?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
gh4rock

Settings Display Laptop ?

#1 Post by gh4rock »

I have installed Debian 11 Cinnamon on two different "desktop" PC's.
When checking "Settings... Display", both PC's show "Laptop" as the monitor ?
After installing Debian 11 Cinnamon on a 3rd PC, I rebooted and found its display to have the wrong display settings.
Checking its "Settings Display" it too shows "Laptop" as the monitor and will NOT allow changes to the dimensions.
Why is Debian 11 unable to correctly establish display settings ?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Settings Display Laptop ?

#2 Post by Aki »

gh4rock wrote: 2021-09-07 17:16 After installing Debian 11 Cinnamon on a 3rd PC, I rebooted and found its display to have the wrong display settings.
Checking its "Settings Display" it too shows "Laptop" as the monitor and will NOT allow changes to the dimensions.
Why is Debian 11 unable to correctly establish display settings ?
Have you analyzed and/or can you report the content of X server log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) ?

Can you describe / analyze/ report [1] the hardware configuration of your computer ?

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/testing/inxi/inxi.1.en.html
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

gh4rock wrote: 2021-09-07 17:16 Why is Debian 11 unable to correctly establish display settings ?
It is most likely NOT an issue with Debian, per se. If the EID being passed from the device during startup is not recognized by the system, or is in a non standard format, then what is displayed by Debian will be incorrect. I have my Intel NUC connected to a 43" TV. Debian identifies it as a 7" display. But it works fine. The real problems are when the incorrect EID info prevents you from setting the resolution that you want. When this happens, you may need to use XrandR to set the desired resolution. Make sure that your display supports the resolution that you set using XrandR, otherwise you may damage your hardware.

EDIT: One thing you might try is to install the read-edid package. Once installed you can invoke get-edid, as su, and if all is working correctly it should display the monitor information. I have in the past found certain monitors did not send the correct edid info. Also, invoking xrandr --verbose should give you all the info about what resolutions your display supports.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

gh4rock

#4 Post by gh4rock »

Here is the info for one of the PCs.

Command = inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati,vesa unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon
resolution: 1680x1050
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.5

The Monitor is a ViewSonic VG2230WM, and the display setting is correct at 1680x1050.
The Display Adapter is a R7-240 4GB PCIe 3 card.

The attached file shows it as a Laptop ???
Attachments
Display-Laptop.png
Display-Laptop.png (41.52 KiB) Viewed 3134 times

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

looks like wrong driver being used? is any firmware missing? Probably should be using open source AMDGPU driver for this newer board.

if you have a lot of lines beginning with VESA in the xorg log, then wrong driver.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

gh4rock

#6 Post by gh4rock »

Lots of VESA lines in the Xorg.0.log file.
How do I change the Display driver to AMDGPU ?

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

You need nonfree firmware for AMD GPUs to work correctly. The package is in a repository section that's not enabled by default in standard Debian, nonfree. Check this current thread for a novice solving a very similar issue: viewtopic.php?p=742103#p742103
MX Linux packager and developer

gh4rock

#8 Post by gh4rock »

Used Synaptic Package Manager, searched for AMDGPU, added firmware-amd-graphics package, rebooted.
Checked "Settings... Display" and found that it now recognizes the ViewSonic Monitor and allows selection of many more graphic settings.
See attached file....
Thanks to ALL for the help.
Attachments
ViewSonic.png
ViewSonic.png (47.27 KiB) Viewed 2735 times