Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian installation on a HP Omen with UEFI

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
LouttitBay

Debian installation on a HP Omen with UEFI

#1 Post by LouttitBay »

First time post / New Linux user here.
My main OS is the pre-installed Windows 10 however I haveI created a 30gb partition and successfully created a bootable USB to commence the installation process. I know the bootable USB works because I tried it on my previous laptop and as soon as I selected boot from USB in the BIOS it took me to the Debian installation prompt. I created the boot by way of using Rufus and referencing the Debian image.
My new laptop uses UEFI and although I have been able to select boot from USB as the first option and disable 'secure boot', I am still not having any luck in initiating the USB.
Does anyone have any experience in how I can overcome the hurdle of the UEFI issue in relation to installation in order for my USB to take precedence in the start up?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian installation on a HP Omen with UEFI

#2 Post by sunrat »

You need to select "DD" mode in Rufus to write a Debian install image to USB. Although if it boots on another machine it may be OK. How are you selecting the drive to boot, in UEFI setup or Boot Select key? On my system I get 2 choices for that drive in the Boot Select menu, only 1 is for UEFI.
Also Secure Boot is now supported by Debian since Buster so disabling is optional.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

LouttitBay

#3 Post by LouttitBay »

F10 UEFI Setup and then boot options. I drag the USB Boot to the top of the list.

I queried the boot sequence issue with HP and was advised the following (not very helpful):

"Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using."

Any other suggestions?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

F9 - Boot menu/options -> Select USB drive.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

I don't know what your UEFI setup options are, but on my system I had to change SATA mode from RAID to AHCI before the installer would boot.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

The installer won't boot or won't see the internal drive ?
I fail to see how the SATA mode would impact the boot from USB.

LouttitBay

#7 Post by LouttitBay »

What did the trick was to use DD option when setting up the USB bootdisk (as mentioned by @sunrat ).
I finally got to the install and then eventually had a whole heap of errors with the nvidia graphics card , I then decided tha Debian is a bit of a beast for a rookie like myself so I decided to delete it, and that was another learning experience itself as I deleted the partition and was stick with the GRUB load up every time I would reboot. I finally figured out how to remove it from boot.

I think I will install Ubuntu or Mint for now.