Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bullseye server "out of range" - solved -

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
PaoloV

Bullseye server "out of range" - solved -

#1 Post by PaoloV »

Dear debianers,
I'm a Debian user from "sarge" time, but I never registered before to this forum, 'cause I never needed it. All the wikis, the guides and all the other on-line resources have always been sufficient for me, and for the troubles that, sometimes everyone can encounter. Thank you all!

Well, today I ran into a curious problem: Server Fujitsu Primergy tx1320 m1. Bullseye installed with no problems (minimal + sshd), after reboot the writing "out of range" appeared on my monitor. Switched to two others monitor (better than first), but the problem still remain the same. I tried to boot with recovery option with no luck. Also tried to change some boot option, with no result. Then I put the boot disk (it is only one on this server, or the moment) on my desktop (Ubuntu 20.4), thinking that I can find somewhere the xorg config and change it, but I can't even see the disk partitions .

I'm stuck here. Any idea, please?

PS: I can't add another video card, because this Fujitsu it only has pci x1 and x4
Last edited by PaoloV on 2021-09-15 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

PaoloV

Re: Bullseye server "out of range"

#2 Post by PaoloV »

Ok, solved. I entered in the system blindfolded, typing "root" and "my pasword", then "adduser -normal user created during installation- sudo" and "apt install sudo -y". After this it was possible to connect via ssh. So I edited "/etc/default/grub" and added - GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”vga=normal fb=false nomodeset” - . I finded it somewere on line. It worked for me.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bullseye server "out of range" - solved -

#3 Post by p.H »

Sometimes people do pointless things and think that helped solving their problem. But it did not.
PaoloV wrote: 2021-09-15 16:24 I tried to boot with recovery option
So at least you could see the GRUB menu.
PaoloV wrote: 2021-09-15 16:24 tried to change some boot option, with no result.
What boot options ?
PaoloV wrote: 2021-09-15 18:14 "adduser -normal user created during installation- sudo" and "apt install sudo -y". After this it was possible to connect via ssh.
None of this was necessary to connect via ssh. None of this was necessary at all. You could just connect via SSH and run commands as root with "su -" instead of sudo.
PaoloV wrote: 2021-09-15 18:14 I edited "/etc/default/grub" and added - GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”vga=normal fb=false nomodeset”
vga=normal and fb=false are useless. Only nomodeset has the effect of disabling kernel modesetting (and severely degrading display resolution and performance). This is not a solution but a mere workaround.
You did not even have to use SSH for this. You could just add "nomodeset" to the kernel command line at the GRUB menu.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

p.H wrote: 2021-09-15 19:41 You could just connect via SSH and run commands as root
I thought this may be disabled by default. ?

PaoloV

#5 Post by PaoloV »

@p.H
commands as root with "su -" instead of sudo.
Ah yes, sometimes I forget the existence of certain commands...
You could just add "nomodeset" to the kernel command line at the GRUB menu.
yes, that's enough. Thank you