Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 bullseye cannot install gcc version 8

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
darkmatter

Debian 11 bullseye cannot install gcc version 8

#1 Post by darkmatter »

on Debian 11 bullseye 64 bit I did
apt install build-essential
and i got somehow gcc version 10 :

root@debian:/tmp/percona-server-mongodb-4.4.8-9# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none:amdgcn-amdhsa:hsa
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Debian 10.2.1-6' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-10/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,go,brig,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++,m2 --prefix=/usr --with-gcc-major-version-only --program-suffix=-10 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu- --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --enable-bootstrap --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-plugin --enable-default-pie --with-system-zlib --enable-libphobos-checking=release --with-target-system-zlib=auto --enable-objc-gc=auto --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib --with-tune=generic --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none=/build/gcc-10-Km9U7s/gcc-10-10.2.1/debian/tmp-nvptx/usr,amdgcn-amdhsa=/build/gcc-10-Km9U7s/gcc-10-10.2.1/debian/tmp-gcn/usr,hsa --without-cuda-driver --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu --with-build-config=bootstrap-lto-lean --enable-link-mutex
Thread model: posix
Supported LTO compression algorithms: zlib zstd
gcc version 10.2.1 20210110 (Debian 10.2.1-6)

how could I install gcc version 8 ?
apt install gcc-8 doesn't seem to find anything, nor apt install gcc-8-base

peter_irich

Re: Debian 11 bullseye cannot install gcc version 8

#2 Post by peter_irich »

gcc-8 is in Debian Buster. Debian 11 has gcc-10.

crushedpepper

#3 Post by crushedpepper »

Hello pal ,

Please do not try to , I have been having a nightmare. Just use gcc-10 and/or the g++-10 that comes along with it.

gcc-10-base comes with bullseye.
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gcc-10-base

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

"gcc" is a metapackage that depends on the release's default gcc version, gcc-10 in Bullseye's case. Some releases may have one default version, yet several other versions are in the repo. Sid just moved to gcc-11 as default, for example, yet that causes build failures at present for Pale Moon. But I can tell Pale Moon to use gcc-10 (still in Sid) if it does detect that it's building on Sid or Ubuntu 21.10 Impish:

Code: Select all

# Build with gcc-10 on releases where default gcc is 11
distrelease := $(shell lsb_release -cs)
ifeq ($(distrelease),$(filter $(distrelease),sid impish))
export CC=gcc-10
export CXX=g++-10
export CPP=cpp-10
export LD=gcc-10
endif
MX Linux packager and developer