Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot boot after install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Marco3G

Cannot boot after install

#1 Post by Marco3G »

Hi everyoone

I've made the mistake of thinking "let's try something different" after some asshat made fun of me for using kubuntu.

Just about every distribution I've tried does not work in some minor or major way.

For debian it's the fact that after installation, my BIOS will not even list the NVMe drive as bootable despite me selecting it when asked where to install grub.

Did I completely misread something on that screen? I have now installed Pop! _OS but that thing seems to be basically ubuntu only it does some weird things. Devuan didn't want to work at all when I tried that...

Oh by the way, the BIOS is set to allow both MBR and UEFI boot. I can still boot into the MBR Win10 drive when manually selecting it.

Off topic: I gotta say the whole Linux experience so far is really off-putting outside of kubuntu... that was okayish.

I think I will try installing Debian one more time and if it doesn't please, I'm going back to kubuntu.

So I would appreciate any help on this issue I could get.

Regards,

Marco

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cannot boot after install

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Did you try a web search? The search I did suggests that if the BIOS cannot see the SSD then the system cannot boot from it.

https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... sing-nvme/

The answer seems to be to install the /boot directory to another disk.

Maybe Ubuntu does this for you?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

Use Clover on a USB stick?

https://www.hamishmb.com/blog/booting-n ... pc-refind/
(Scroll down to "Booting from the NVME SSD")

ooglaboogla

#4 Post by ooglaboogla »

You may want to try one of the unofficial Debian isos with non-free firmware, if you didn't already. They are available with the slow Debian installer, or the Calamares installer which runs from a live iso. The Calamares installer is easier and faster, but leaves a lot of language and locale packages on your system that can make updates take a very long time if you don't remove them manually. The unofficial isos live here: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/ Debian installer images for Debian 11 are here: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... 4/iso-dvd/ Live Debian images with Calamares are here: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... so-hybrid/ Both of these include all available desktop environments. The Debian installer will ask which one you want to use. The Live images with Calamares have a different iso image for each desktop, so you pick before you download. I prefer Debian Cinnamon, but I make a lot of changes after installation to get it like I want it. I don't know that these will solve your particular problem, but I'd say they have the best chance. If you end up giving up on Debian, you may want to try Linux Mint, if you haven't already. There's nothing at all wrong with Kubuntu, although I would prefer to install plain old Ubuntu, then add KDE to it. I don't use KDE, myself. I just prefer Cinnamon.

Marco3G

#5 Post by Marco3G »

I have used an ISO with non-free firmware.

Anyhow, this time my BIOS still listed the disk, I could boot but immediately was annoyed: No matter how often I added my user to the sudo group as root, the user just could not sudo.

So I scrapped the thing and went back to kubuntu.

Frankly I am so tired of everything being crap in this decade. I'm done. kubuntu works ( although not with the latest kernel) and I'm getting the system back to usable.

Frankly I'm this close to going back to windows 7 just out of spite... The whole Linux community, Microsoft and Apple are incapable of producing a non-aggravating OS. kubuntu isn't a good OS. It just mostly works, doesn't spy on me much and doesn't treat me like a toddler either. I'm guessing that's gonna have to be good enough.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

:roll: So you almost gave up after one easily fixable problem, and now are giving up after another easily fixable "problem"? (Quotes because it's not really even a problem - just use su.)

Marco3G

#7 Post by Marco3G »

So your solution to root not being able to add a user to a group is "Well, don't"?

Yeah, you people are nuts.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

sudo gives users a subset of superuser privileges. Why would you give yourself a subset of superuser privileges when you are the administrator and have the administrator password? Debian gives you su. If you want sudo, you can add yourself to the user group if you want to. (But really it's there for you to add other users to whom you give a subset of privileges, isn't it?) To use sudo, you will have to read the information on the Debian wiki. My suggestion to your not being able to add a user is that you didn't do this.
A most common source of confusion is that people add themselves to a new group but then do not log out and back in again and then have problems because the group is not assigned; be sure to verify group membership.

zwab

#9 Post by zwab »

Hello,
There's a good guide with many different routes to get sudo access here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=150228
If you find Debian too difficult I suggest trying Gentoo. :D

ooglaboogla

#10 Post by ooglaboogla »

Marco3G wrote: 2021-09-25 16:13 No matter how often I added my user to the sudo group as root, the user just could not sudo.
This is one of those issues that Cinnamon allows you to easily correct in the GUI. In the Users and Groups settings applet, you just change your user type to Administrator instead of Standard User, then log out and back in. But like I said, there's nothing wrong with Kubuntu.