Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to install Debian 11 Bullseye on a Fujitsu U7511 laptop with debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso : shim_init() failed

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Levure

Unable to install Debian 11 Bullseye on a Fujitsu U7511 laptop with debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso : shim_init() failed

#1 Post by Levure »

Hello,

I am trying to install Debian 11 Bullseye on a Fujitsu U7511 laptop to replace a Linux Mint 20.2 installation (I wanted to try Cinnamon, but I don't like it and prefer to go back to KDE).

So, I've downloaded the debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso iso file, checked the SHA512 sum, and written it to a USB key.
When I boot on the USB key, I get this error :

Code: Select all

set_second_stage() failed: Invalid Parameter
Something has gone seriously wrong: shim_init() failed: Invalid Parameter
I can't do anything, and the laptop shutdown a few seconds after.

I've tried to disable SecureBoot in the BIOS without any result (same error).

What is causing that error ? What can I do ?
Thanks in advance for your tips !

Regards,

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unable to install Debian 11 Bullseye on a Fujitsu U7511 laptop with debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso : shim_init() fa

#2 Post by sunrat »

Exactly how did you write the USB key? Debian is particular about the method used. This is one of the recommended ways:

cp name-of.iso /dev/sdX> ; sync
Of course substitute the actual iso name and name of the drive as shown in lsblk.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Levure

Re: Unable to install Debian 11 Bullseye on a Fujitsu U7511 laptop with debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso : shim_init() fa

#3 Post by Levure »

I used three different way :

- The Lazy one : via the "Make Bootable USB Stick" option of Linux Mint (I can't give you more details about the software name)

- Second : Using

sudo dd bs=4M if=debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso of=/dev/sda status=progress oflag=sync
- Third : Using

cp debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sda
sync
I even bought a new USB key in case the one I was using was defective, but I still have the same error message.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Your methods 2 and 3 should work. Did you search the error message? I got a bunch of hits for different operating systems and computers but nothing definite. The Debian hits were for the live installer. Secure Boot is supported so that shouldn't cause problems (theoretically).
One answer suggested TPM should be on in BIOS but that was on a Dell.
Are you sure the USB key was /dev/sda ? That's usually an internal drive but /dev/sdX naming is not always predictable which is why it needs to be checked before writing.
Sorry I can't be more help.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Zilch

#5 Post by Zilch »

Try to disable as much Intel/Windows features as possible.

I have a Dell 5290, which is 8th gen Intel. In its BIOS I have changed the following settings...
UEFI Boot: ENABLED
Legacy Boot: ENABLED
Secure Boot: DiSABLED
Intel SGX: DISABLED
Intel Trusted Execution: DISABLED

I have also disabled Intel Turbo Boost, which keeps the temps of my CPU around mid 60C, max (rather than having it hit 100C).

Next up, I'd recommend you download a torrent file of Debian, and download it using qBitTorrent. This will ensure that you have a bit perfect copy of the Debian ISO installer.

If you have Windows, the best way to flash the image file is by using Rufus (preferably using DD image mode). If you have Linux, DD really is the best method.

Depending on your laptop's network configuration, you might not be able to use WiFi during installation. Because I had an Intel wireless card in my laptop, I had to use ethernet during installation. When that was done, I installed iwlwifi, and after a reboot my WiFi was working perfectly!

Really hope this helps.

Zilch

#6 Post by Zilch »

A quick Google search revealed that your laptop is an 11th gen Intel model, so the suggestion I've made above should work for your laptop. However, there will be differences!

Just don't mess with other important stuff in the BIOS.

I would also recommend you install Windows 10 just to update the BIOS. I did this on my Dell before installing Linux.

gusi

#7 Post by gusi »

-----------------------
A; Disable Legacy - boot (CSM)

make pure UEFI
CSM enable is only good for booting with MBR-Fixed-Disk , mean old systems.
not for GPT-disks
-----------------------
B: If that does not work:
download the Refind-bootloader , make a Boot-stick from the ISO

Refind find aut. Debian and other installed Linux-Verions
That works only with pure UEFI
---------------
Comments
My Acer 1 -NVram does only akzept orders from Microft-Boot-loaders
never from Grub !!
many Laptps do that for u should not remove Windows
That are all "special" uefis

So u need a bootloader , that works without nvram-Entry
take the Default -Fallback bootx64.efi in /efi/boot

I have startet Debian with USB refind
After that, copy the Files in efi-Partition from stick to the efi -Partition in the Fixed-disk
------
sry for my bad english