Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible to install Debian 6 (Squeeze) nowadays?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
negora

Is it possible to install Debian 6 (Squeeze) nowadays?

#1 Post by negora »

Hi:

I need to reproduce an environment similar to one of my old machines. So I've to install Debian 6 (Squeeze) and some packages.

I've downloaded the network installer (the "mini.iso") from "archive.debian.org". But, when it's time to install the kernel, the process fails. I've checked the logs, and it seems that the packages can not be authenticated:
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
I guess that it's because the public keys have expired. Is there a way to force the installation? Like when you force it from the command line with "apt-get".

Thank you in advance.

Bulkley

Re: Is it possible to install Debian 6 (Squeeze) nowadays?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Just for kicks I downloaded debian-6.0.9-amd64-DVD-1.iso from https://archive.org/details/Debian_6.0.9 and installed it in virtual. It works as expected.

negora

Re: Is it possible to install Debian 6 (Squeeze) nowadays?

#3 Post by negora »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-10-22 20:48 Just for kicks I downloaded debian-6.0.9-amd64-DVD-1.iso from https://archive.org/details/Debian_6.0.9 and installed it in virtual. It works as expected.
Thank you for your answer. You made my day ;-) .

When I first looked for ISOs at archive.debian.org, I only found the "mini.iso". So I thought that was it. But after reading your message, I've decided to look for the DVD 1 in an official source, and I've found this: Debian Images Archive. I didn't know that the Debian Images Team had an archive of old releases. That's gold to me.

Sincerely, I also had no idea that I could install from CD 1 or DVD 1 without the rest of the collection. I've tried and it has worked well. But I've had to skip the setting of a network mirror, obviously.

Now that I've a bootable system, I've been able to check that the public keys were effectively expired. I've added "archive.debian.org" as a network mirror and have started to install all the software that I need, skipping the validation.

Again, thank you.