Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Network trouble during install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
FellGleaming

[SOLVED] Network trouble during install

#1 Post by FellGleaming »

Trying to install v11 onto an older HP desktop. The network is wired, connected to a Comcast cable modem/router. During the network portion of setup, DHCP fails to autoconfigure. I attempted manual configuration, which seems to complete without error, but later in the installation when network access is actually needed (downloading from Debian mirrors), setup fails. Am at a bit of a loss what to try next (my Linux skill level is very low). Searched the forums; didn't see anything directly relevant. Any help appreciated.
Last edited by FellGleaming on 2021-10-25 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

FellGleaming

Re: Network trouble during install

#2 Post by FellGleaming »

Some additional info on this. My first two install attempts, the network hardware detection phase proceeded without error. On the 3rd attempt, I received error that it was unable to load: rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw. The 4th attempt, this error disappeared (without any corrective action on my part). I completed this install attempt without further errors (except for the DHCP/mirror errors detailed above). However, booting into the new install produced an infinite loop of the following errors at the Debian login screen:

r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: rtl_rxtx_empty_cond == 0 (loop: 42, delay: 100).

Fifth install, I skipped network configuration entirely. This gave me a clean boot and system I can log into, though with no network of course. From here I am assuming it would be easier to diagnose and correct the issue....?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Installing firmware-realtek from the non-free repo may help.
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-realtek
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Reloading the driver might get you a connection and save you installing firmware from USB.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/909213/ ... initialize

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Looks like the r8168 driver might be needed if there is a problem with r8169.

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/the-r81 ... al/6340/12

Debian has it but suggests filing a bug report if you need to use it.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/r8168-dkms

FellGleaming

#6 Post by FellGleaming »

Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry it's taking me a while to respond: I have to research fairly extensively to accomplish even simple tasks.

I tried Frank's suggestion to reload the driver. After doing so, I added a few lines to etc/network/interfaces to configure the driver:

auto enp3s0
allow-hotplug enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet dhcp

After doing an ifup on enp3s0, I received the same "failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168g.-2.fw" error I saw during installation. I want to now try sunrat's suggestion to load the realtek firmware from USB. I've downloaded this onto a usb drive, and mounted the drive on this install. I'm not sure what to do next, as with this minimal install, I have no graphical package manager. How can I do this from the shell?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

You don't need a graphical package manager. This seems to be the recommended method from the terminal now:

Code: Select all

# apt install </path/to/deb/file/debfile.deb>
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageMa ... g_packages

FellGleaming

#8 Post by FellGleaming »

Thank you, Frank. Installing the nonfree realtek package did indeed solve the problem and get network services active: problem solved.

As one final question, any guidance on how to best convert this super-minimal install into a full-blown Debian installation? I know there are several additional packages to install, but which ones and in what order, I don't know. Is there any sort of script/automated tool, similar to what the standard installer would have done, had it been able to contact the Debian mirror? Or perhaps it's possible to replace the realtek pkg with the nonfree version on my original usb install media, then reinstall from scratch?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Network trouble during install

#9 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

tasksel, maybe?

# apt install tasksel
then

# tasksel
Space bar to mark what you want to install.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Network trouble during install

#10 Post by sunrat »

tasksel will offer a choice of desktop environments (DEs) such as Gnome, KDE, Xfce etc. but it will install a full suite of software with each one. If you still want to keep minimal there are packages available which will install the DE but with only a core selection of software. For KDE the package I use is kde-plasma-desktop. Then you can add only the software you actually need afterwards.
For installing on systems which need non-free software (which is most wifi devices) there are "unofficial" install images available which contain a wide selection of firmware - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!