Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrade Buster 10 to Bullseye 11 - Misc. Errors

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
KitchM

Upgrade Buster 10 to Bullseye 11 - Misc. Errors

#1 Post by KitchM »

Updated my /etc/apt/sources.list by replacing every entry of Buster to Bullseye. Ran sudo apt-get upgrade -y.

"Please reboot the system when convenient."

"invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start"
This happened a number of times even though I thought I had told it to do it as needed.

Various items seem to have needed restart.

No chroot environment found. Starting normal installation
A card known to work was found.
Trying to install latest firmware 6.30.163.46 .
--2021-11-14 12:44:25-- https://lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broad ... 46.tar.bz2
Resolving www.lwfinger.com (www.lfinger.com)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'www.lwfinger.com'

Network went down for no good reason on this computer, while others are up just fine.

"Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-intiramfs: Generatind /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-18-amd64
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/sda5
I: (UUID=663a3866-9f94-40cb-aaa4-46751828e017)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.

Will now try to reboot and run install again from a more reliable connection.

KitchM

Re: Upgrade Buster 10 to Bullseye 11 - Misc. Errors

#2 Post by KitchM »

If you had this problem, make sure you have a stable Internet connection. Then rebooting the computer will bring you to the new OS. At that point, you can run sudo apt autoremove. Then run sudo apt-get upgrade -y again. After that, just run sudo apt upgrade.

All should be well now.

KitchM

#3 Post by KitchM »

What this did not fix were the various "denied execution of restart" messages.

Also, problem continues to exist for initramfs.

irrational

#4 Post by irrational »

KitchM wrote: 2021-11-14 20:05 If you had this problem, make sure you have a stable Internet connection. Then rebooting the computer will bring you to the new OS. At that point, you can run sudo apt autoremove. Then run sudo apt-get upgrade -y again. After that, just run sudo apt upgrade.

All should be well now.
I just wanted to say "thank you". I had a similar enough problem as the op after upgrading from Debian 10 to 11 that I found this via search. Your suggestion also fixed my issue.

To anyone finding themselves in a similar position (in my case it was ntp failing after upgrade, and apt upgrade failing), then run the above commands, reboot, and then run them again.

KitchM

#5 Post by KitchM »

I have also found out that my Xfce 4.12 was not upgraded even though that was supposed to be new in 11. Can't figure that out since Synaptic doesn't show a later version either. Go figure.