Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debootstrap with non-free firmware? [SOLVED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bedtime

debootstrap with non-free firmware? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by bedtime »

I followed this tutorial and everything works as it should: https://willhaley.com/blog/install-debian-usb/...

... except that I would like to have the debootstrap program grab non-free firmware packages for my iwiw6000... wifi.

Is there a way to do this?

*** EDIT SOLVED ***

Figured it out. Just continue with the debootstraping, and when in chroot install the package firmware-iwlwifi

edbarx

Re: debootstrap with non-free firmware? [SOLVED]

#2 Post by edbarx »

Debootstrap offers an extremely minimal Debian system. After debootstap finishes, the installed system will not have any users installed: a root password has be set and a normal user has also to be created. Networking, as far as I remember, is not automatically set up. Repositories have to be set and if a graphical interface is needed it has to be installed manually.

Nevertheless, the sheer control over what is installed in certain circumstances, is worthy of the effort.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.