Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which iso image corresponds to a Debian server (without grapical desktop layer) jessie-8.11?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
devEric69

Which iso image corresponds to a Debian server (without grapical desktop layer) jessie-8.11?

#1 Post by devEric69 »

Hello,

I am looking to mount a virtual machine with a Debian server (i.e. without graphical desktop, i.e. without graphical GTK or KDE layer) version Jessie-8.11, on an x86_64 architecture (AMD or Intel).
Until now, I've only installed some Ubuntu server versions (on the Ubuntu website, they distinguish very well their server from their desktop versions). Now, on the Debian downloads site (https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... installer/), I confess that I don't really understand whch *.iso image should to downloaded :? : could someone enlighten me, by telling me which precise "link to download" I should use, please?

Kind regards.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Which iso image corresponds to a Debian server (without grapical desktop layer) jessie-8.11?

#2 Post by arochester »

Why Jessie?

Jessie will reach EOL, even Extended Log Term Support, on 2022-06-30.

Not much life left in it.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

The install of Bullseye via Net Install https://www.tecmint.com/install-debian- ... al-server/

Scroll down to #27 to see how the software is selected.

brian_p

Re: Which iso image corresponds to a Debian server (without grapical desktop layer) jessie-8.11?

#3 Post by brian_p »

Install from a Debian 11 ISO in expert mode. Guess what? You get to choose what you want!
--
Brian.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

brian_p wrote: 2021-11-28 18:33 Install from a Debian 11 ISO in expert mode. Guess what? You get to choose what you want!
That is exactly what you want to do. OR - simply installing per normal but when you get to the image below, take only this option (and maybe add ssh).
The advanced/Expert mode may be a bit overwhelming for normies but otherwise, that would be a better option.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

devEric69

#5 Post by devEric69 »

Thanks to all.

@arochester: I need an image of jessie version, because my public web host hasn't yet upgraded this installation, and I'm looking to replicate his installation.
The article from techmint.com is very well written and leads to download a debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso image in order to install a server.

@cds60601: thanks for the information. I didn't know that the Debian's expert mode installation allows to install a server by default, and possibly a graphical layer if I want a desktop above.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

devEric69 wrote: 2021-11-29 11:37 I didn't know that the Debian's expert mode installation allows to install a server by default
It doesn't. Expert install only asks more questions, it has nothing to do with server/desktop installation.