Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Finding the CPU Architecture (given a CPU)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
alirio

Finding the CPU Architecture (given a CPU)

#1 Post by alirio »

Hello,

I am interested in buying a device with an ARM CPU (namely with the CPU MediaTek P60T).
The description I have concerning the CPU is "MediaTek P60T (8C, 4x A73 @2.0GHz + 4x A53 @2.0GHz)".

I have tried to read and search for a while concerning this CPU, concerning the subject of installing a debian on a Chromebook, and also a little concerning the three ARM architectures available as a Debian installer (arm64, armel and armhf).
I am, most likely, not competent enough to find the information I need.

(The device I am interested in is the Chromebook "Lenovo IdeaPad Duet Chromebook-215")
I intend to install Debian in the Chromebook "directly" in the Hard Drive, and not as a kind of Virtual Machine after have Chrome OS running. Ideally I want to set up a dual booting. (but this is a different topic, I believe...)
I am used to run Debian, it is my main OS, but I have only used it on Intel CPUs.

I can not get an understanding for if one of those ARM CPU architectures (available as Debian installers) is the architecture of the CPU I mentioned (MediaTek P60T).

If it is possible to someone to give me a clear short answer, I would really appreciate it, as I have not much time to decide to buy this specific device.

Besides this, I would really like to understand how should I be able to understand the answer for this question I am posting.
Generally, for a given CPU, as it is something I would like to be able to do.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Finding the CPU Architecture (given a CPU)

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/
Debian fully supports three ports to different flavours of little-endian ARM hardware:

The ARM EABI (armel) port targets a range of older 32-bit ARM devices, particularly those used in NAS hardware and a variety of *plug computers.
The newer ARM hard-float (armhf) port supports newer, more powerful 32-bit devices using version 7 of the ARM architecture specification.
The 64-bit ARM (arm64) port supports the latest 64-bit ARM-powered devices.

alirio

#3 Post by alirio »

Thank you for your answer,
That page is completely related with the subject, but I had not seen it before.

But I am not completely clarified yet,
(maybe only because I am not comfortable with my knowledge concerning this subject)
Now I know that if one of the three Debian installers is for the architecture I am looking for is the arm64, and that this installer is for the 64-bit Armv8 architecture (aarch64), but I can not find any information concerning the architecture of the MediaTek P60T CPU, besides it being ARM and indeed a 64-bit CPU.
I also read that this Debian Port is under development since around 2013, and I have the information that the CPU I mentioned before is from 2018,
Does this mean that the Debian installer arm64 will be able to get me a running Debian on the machine?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

alirio wrote: 2021-11-29 20:18 Now I know that if one of the three Debian installers is for the architecture I am looking for is the arm64, and that this installer is for the 64-bit Armv8 architecture (aarch64), but I can not find any information concerning the architecture of the MediaTek P60T CPU, besides it being ARM and indeed a 64-bit CPU.
Its armv8
https://www.arm.com/products/silicon-ip ... cortex-a53
alirio wrote: 2021-11-29 20:18 I also read that this Debian Port is under development since around 2013, and I have the information that the CPU I mentioned before is from 2018,
Does this mean that the Debian installer arm64 will be able to get me a running Debian on the machine?
It should.