Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon 5.2

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
majpooper

Cinnamon 5.2

#1 Post by majpooper »

I am doing some testing in a VM with Debian 11.
I would like to install Cinnamon 5.2 (the sid package)
I understand the difference and the reasons for stable vs testing but I would like to see how this newer version of the Cinnamon DE does in stable. The problem is I am stuck installing the .tar.gz package. Usually I can install these with not too much hassle but I can not find an install instruction .txt or the path to use the ./configure command after extraction.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cinnamon 5.2

#2 Post by canci »

Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

majpooper

#3 Post by majpooper »

I have made some progress on this - I can get cinnamon 5.0 installed which will work but now to figure out pinning. I have a general idea but I am still a little (well a lot) confused. I only want 1 package from bookworm so it should not be hard. If someone has done something like this it would be nice to know how they got it to work. In the mean time I will keep on researching and testing.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Always prefer packages from a repository

Something like:

Code: Select all

Package: <packagename>
Pin: release a=bookworm
Pin-Priority: 900
I haven't tested this exactly as I don't have bookworm, but recently pinned ardour from stable to prevent it being installed from KXStudio repo despite KX having a faux "higher" version number and it worked fine. Do apt update and check it's correct with apt policy.
That said, it's playing Russian Roulette to install anything from sid or testing on stable and pray nothing else breaks.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

majpooper

#5 Post by majpooper »

THX much - I think I have a general idea what to do.
sunrat wrote: 2021-11-30 05:14 That said, it's playing Russian Roulette to install anything from sid or testing on stable and pray nothing else breaks.
Agreed - which is why I am testing this in a VM . . . . yeah, it looks like it has already broken a few things - but again in a VM so . . . . . .

majpooper

#6 Post by majpooper »

I am now running cinnamon 5.0 - not 5.2 but better than 4.8.
I have moved from a VM and now testing it on bare metal - so far no issues.

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-2-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.6 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Fantu

#7 Post by Fantu »

5.2 packages are ready for experimental upload for weeks but I haven't found anyone that upload them yet :( https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors ... 00082.html
if you want you can install the packages I built for testing them (on http://debomatic-amd64.debian.net/distr ... n-unstable), you can find the instruction for use them here: https://lists.debian.org/debian-cinnamo ... 00006.html

edit:
some useful infos: don't upgrade cinnamon on debian using mint repository because upstream packages have differences that can cause issue on upgrade