Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Unable to boot fresh Bullseye install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
davis22

[SOLVED] Unable to boot fresh Bullseye install

#1 Post by davis22 »

I've installed Bullseye 11.2 from USB onto some desktop hardware that I intend to use as a home server (Intel i3 10100, MSI B560M Pro VDH-wifi, no gpu). There are no other operating systems installed. It's connected by HDMI to a monitor (until I can SSH in), I didn't install a desktop environment. I've confirmed my USB installs correctly to another PC I have, and tried installing multiple times to this one.

After a reboot, GRUB shows up correctly. But on selecting Debian, all output to the monitor ceases, and the PC is no longer recognized as an HDMI source. When I select the recovery mode option in GRUB I do see the standard boot process text, with output ceasing immediately at the end of it. The PC at this point seems to still be powered up, but as well as outputting nothing it does not show up on my router or respond to ping. My initial guess would be something to do with using the processor's on-chip graphics, but I could be way off.

Here's an image of the last thing shown before output stops when I boot in safe mode: https://imgur.com/a/xrgrjhx. The bits of garbled text are because it's a frame from a video as I didn't know how else to capture it.

I'm aware I'm not really giving enough info to help debug this - my first issue is just with getting that information without a working system. Any suggestions or ways I can get find out more would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Added

Code: Select all

nomodeset
to the GRUB command line and can now reach a command prompt so should be able to work things out from there.