Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debain stable and starlabs coreboot

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fch

Debain stable and starlabs coreboot

#1 Post by fch »

Hello, I have been using Debian in the last months and doing some distro hoping, I love Debian stable and the project, but since I switched my firmware to starlabs coreboot that is still under development, things get strangely unstable on Debian stable, last week I moved to Debian Sid and things much better as it was with Arch and Fedora, my newbie conclusion is because Sid has the most recent software, is it correct to assume that because the firmware is not very mature yet it requires most recent software?
Also another thing that causes problems is the support for this firmware that requires an Ubuntu PPA in order upgrade and manage through coreboot-configurator: https://support.starlabs.systems/kb/upd ... m-the-lvfs
Running those commands broke a previous install.
Using gnome-firmware is an easy way to upgrade the firmware no newer version, but on the current version 3.36 both on Sid and Stable, the device firmware is not recognized. On Fedora and Arch, that have the 41.0 version, the device fw was recognize, so just a matter of waiting a bit until Sid updates that too.
I don't have much skills yet, but I would like to help somehow to better integrate fw upgrades and management from great device makes like Starlabs, System 76, Tuxedo and etc. Will it be possible to someday have a firmware that does not require the "non-free" stuff required to laptops running Debian?

argentwolf

Re: Debain stable and starlabs coreboot

#2 Post by argentwolf »

Amazing! Having unrealistic expectations with a firmware "still under development" is...well, impossible to conclude. You question should be levied against 'starlabs coreboot' and the device makers, Yes?
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD