Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Booting install disk in rescue mode doesn't find any partitions

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
TxLogicGuy

Booting install disk in rescue mode doesn't find any partitions

#1 Post by TxLogicGuy »

I have an Intel DH77KC motherboard. This board has BIOS RAID, what Intel calls Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and what in these fora is often called SATA RAID or "fake RAID". I have 2 disks configured in the BIOS as RAID0. I already have Windows 7, Artix Linux, and CentOS 8 installed and running in separate partitions on this RAID0 array. I am attempting to install Debian 11 amd64 "bullseye" in a new partition. I have been following the instructions given at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller ... staller%29

Everything goes fine until I get to step 9: "You will be presented with screens similar to the installation screens. Go through with them until you are asked to choose a root filesystem to mount and use. " Instead, I get a screen with this:
"The installer could not find any partitions, so you will not be able to mount a root file system. This may be caused by the kernel failing to detect your hard disk drive or failing to read the partition table, or the disk may be unpartitioned."

If I select "Go Back" and then select "Partition disks" and then select "Manual partitioning" I get a list of all the partitions on the disk. If I boot another operating system and then use it to examine the Debian partition I can see that lots of files were installed there by the install process. So, the disk partitions are there, the files are there but they are not visible to the installer disk when it tries the enter rescue mode. I have tried both the graphical and non-graphical rescue mode installer options and I added dmraid=true to the kernel options line in each case.

Any suggestions?

(And while we are on the subject: Windows 7 uses an Intel driver to access the RAID. Both Artix Linux and CentOS use mdadm. I noticed that the Debian install disk contains both mdadm and dmraid, but it only seems to use dmraid. Intel recommends using mdadm instead of dmraid in Linux. Is there some way to get the installer to use mdadm instead of dmraid. I have tried adding mdadm=true as a kernel parameter but that doesn't seem to help.)