Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

BootDevice Not Found - Hard Disk - (3F0) - GRUB: No such cryptodisk found.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
postcd

BootDevice Not Found - Hard Disk - (3F0) - GRUB: No such cryptodisk found.

#1 Post by postcd »

Hello,

on the newer HP computer i was trying to install debian-11.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso downloaded yesterday via Ventoy USB flash disk that has partition EFI (FAT-12/16/32.

maybe as a result after installation "fdisk -l" shows "Disklabel type: dos" among other output (not GPT)

Following is unchanged partition layout resulting from "Guided partitioning / ... setup encrypted LVM / all files in one partition":

selected KDE, installation went OK, after POST is the error "BootDevice Not Found Hard Disk - (3F0)":

Possibly unrelated BIOS img:

After disabling Fast boot (may be unrelated) and enabling Secure boot, setting UEFI boot order in Advanced/Boot options things changed:

(error: no such cryptodisk found. Entering rescue mode...) - this error was later found to be from different non Debian drive.
later in different OS "fdisk -l" shows "Disklabel type: dos"

I have also tried to "Boot from file" in F1 / Boot menu

I could select other drive locared \EFI\MANJARO\GRUBX64.EFI and fortunately it booted my current non Debian system drive (other, Samsung Debian drive ended up in grub recovery as shown above) so i can let you know how i have failed and ask you for kind suggestion on which things to try please and why it fails to find cryptodisk while i think that have used Debian suggested partitioning scheme?

I think that the installer confused me on first image above and my 2020 computer support only UEFI, if that is so, how can i convert without wasting hour+ reinstalling (it seemed like it was wiping the drive even it contained no readable sensitive data - i later read it can be cancelled without cancelling installation - i somehow missed this "skip" button)

UPDATE: possible solution to this issue is described in the second part of this post in this thread
Last edited by postcd on 2022-01-23 19:30, edited 5 times in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BootDevice Not Found - Hard Disk - (3F0) - GRUB: No such cryptodisk found.

#2 Post by p.H »

1) This machine has a UEFI firmware and the other system has a UEFI boot loader, so you should have forced UEFI installation.

2) Did you try several installations ? It seems that the GRUB core image on hd0 is set up for GPT and cannot read the DOS/MBR partition table. You can boot the installer in rescue mode and reinstall GRUB.

postcd

#3 Post by postcd »

On that Debian drive was different OS before, but it should have been wiped out during one and only Debian installation. Beside USB boot disk i have also later added different Linux disk.
You can boot the installer in rescue mode and reinstall GRUB.
I was searching on how to do this and found:
https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/rei ... le-debian/

Can you please suggest exact steps on how to do it?

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

resigned by AI ChatGPT

postcd

#5 Post by postcd »

No it NOT worked. That links to articles i have already mentioned and which i do not understand, so that was not helpful. Thanks to that i have spent 90 minutes trying to do it (in rescue, advanced, mounted vg root, boot, selected grub reinstall to correct /dev/sdx) but it still shows same no such cryptodisk error. Help please.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

The booted GRUB instance appears to be set up for encrypted /boot on GPT. However the Debian installer does not support an encrypted /boot (unless you manually messed with it in a shell), and the installer screen shot shows a plain unencrypted /boot partition (sdb1) on DOS/MBR. This leads me to conclude that the booted GRUB instance is not from the Debian installation. Possible causes include :
- You told Debian to install GRUB in a partition boot sector (PBR) instead of the drive boot sector (MBR).
- Debian failed to install GRUB in the drive MBR.
- The booted GRUB instance is installed on another drive and the computer boots from this drive instead of the drive which contains the GRUB instance installed by Debian.

What location did you select when installing and reinstalling GRUB ?
Which drive did you select when booting ?
Beware that disk names /dev/sd* are not stable and may change at each boot.

It may help if you could install boot-info-script on another Linux system, run bootinfoscript and post the report.
You can also run "blkid" and compare the UUID of LUKS encrypted partitions with the UUID displayed by GRUB at boot.

PS: The Debian installer guided partitioning created a 1 GB swap area. According to the machine specs, it has at least 4 GiB RAM so 1 GB swap may be too small for hibernation, and not very useful as ordinary swap. You could reduce the root logical volume and extend the swap logical volume, but I doubt you know how to do this. So it may be another reason to reinstall.

Notes about installing with LVM and/or encryption :
- You can tell the guided partitioning to not allocate all the available space to logical volumes. This way you can leave free space to easily extend logical volumes or create new ones.
- You can tell the installer to not erase the encrypted partition.
- These options may be available only in "expert install" (not reserved to experts despite of the name). Not sure as I always use expert install.

postcd

#7 Post by postcd »

First thanks for your effort to help.
What location did you select when installing and reinstalling GRUB ?
in Debian installer i have used default guided configuration of entire disk, 100% LVM, encrypted, i do not remember regarding /boot so it was default. Unchanged.
in Debian rescue mode i have tried to reinstall to /dev/sdb as it was the Debian drive (confirmed by lsblk;df) sda was usb drive. I have also tried sdb1 as it was /boot partition of Deb. drive - that failed without giving reason - i have again used grub r€install using GUI mode of Deb. rescue.
Which drive did you select when booting ?
It goes automatically to Debian drive, i have also selected it manually in BIOS Boot menu.
install boot-info-script
bootinfoscript output is here (p@$$word: deb) the 111,79 GiB sda drive is the Debian one..
(guided partitioning created a 1 GB swap area)
can i remove it without worry and use swap file (i used it on different distro instead)?

Why grub rebuild on correct drive not helped? IDEAS:
1. What about that it is missing EFI vfat partition? /boot/efi how to fix it?
2. Is necessary to convert MBR to UEFI part. table? If so how, i am looking up this

postcd

#8 Post by postcd »

the drive (result of deb. 100%lvm encrypted drive setup -unchanged configuration suggested by deb, UEFI not forced) - has no fat/uefi - but i guess my computer need it:

comparing to working different distro drive on same computer:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

postcd wrote: 2022-01-22 12:25 in Debian installer i have used default guided configuration of entire disk, 100% LVM, encrypted, i do not remember regarding /boot so it was default. Unchanged.
The location selected for GRUB installation has nothing to do with /boot.
postcd wrote: 2022-01-22 12:25 It goes automatically to Debian drive, i have also selected it manually in BIOS Boot menu.
Are you sure ? From bootinfoscript report:

Code: Select all

=> Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of 
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks 
    for (,msdos1)/grub. It also embeds following components:

modules
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    fshelp ext2 part_msdos biosdisk
This indicates that Debian's GRUB is installed properly: it includes support for DOS/MBR partition table but not for encryption nor GPT, and looks for /grub in partition 1 (/boot). The GRUB output you see at boot time (cryptodisk error, GPT partition listing) cannot be from this GRUB.
From the grub rescue prompt, can you run "set" and report the values of cmdpath, grub_platform and prefix if they exist ?

You seem to have a NVMe SSD but bootinfoscript does not examine this kind of device. Could its MBR contain GRUB too ? From Linux shell:

hd -n 512 /dev/nvme0n1
# or
hexdump -Cn 512 /dev/nvme0n1
postcd wrote: 2022-01-22 12:25 can i remove it without worry and use swap file (i used it on different distro instead)?
AFAIK Debian cannot use a swapfile for hibernation. I do not recommend swapfiles anyway, it is a dirty hack.
postcd wrote: 2022-01-22 12:25 1. What about that it is missing EFI vfat partition?
As you did not force UEFI installation your Debian system is set up for BIOS/legacy boot and does not need an EFI partition. If you were to decide to switch to EFI boot you could use the existing EFI partition on the NVMe SSD.
postcd wrote: 2022-01-22 12:25 Is necessary to convert MBR to UEFI part. table?
Not unless you intend to boot from this drive in EFI mode. Even though, a compliant UEFI firmware should be able to boot in EFI mode from a DOS/MBR drive.

postcd

#10 Post by postcd »

Debian's GRUB is installed properly: it includes support for DOS/MBR partition table but not for encryption nor GPT
Maybe this newer computer does not support it and support only UEFI/GPT, question is how to fix Debian installed without force UEFI. I read someone is using command "gdisk /dev/sdX".
you could use the existing EFI partition on the NVMe SSD.
I may want to use NVMe drive in other computer, i would prefer EFI part. on SATA SSD Debian drive. Question is if possible, considering current partition table:

and how. Maybe i can gparted make /boot FAT32 and add esp flag and on Debian Live rescue, after mounting /root making sure /sys/firmware/efi/efivars is there and run "grub-install /dev/sdX && update-grub" to make Debian reinstall emptied /boot and apply EFI instead - question is would that work?
hd;hexdump of /dev/nvme0n1
here
From the grub rescue prompt, can you run "set" and report the values of cmdpath, grub_platform and prefix if they exist ?
This is all it returned:

I think that You are right that this is returned by non-Debian drive. When i disable NVMe (non debian drive) in BIOS, then Debian drive is not bootable, showing:
(partition table is above in this post)

Can You suggest what to try please?
Last edited by postcd on 2022-01-22 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by p.H »

Grub rescue does not expose grub_platform which would tell whether it is EFI (grub_platform=efi) or PC BIOS/legacy (grub_platform=pc). But

cmdpath=(hd2,gpt1)/EFI/boot
clearly indicates that the active GRUB was booted from an EFI partition on a GPT-partitioned disk and expects /boot/grub in an encrypted partition. That points to the NVMe SSD.
(/EFI/boot is the "removable media path" containing the default EFI boot loader used when not booting from a specific OS boot entry.)

So it seems that the firmware cannot currently boot in BIOS/legacy mode. Did you search for legacy/CSM boot options ? Usually secure boot must be disabled in order to boot in legacy mode (because legacy boot is "insecure" by design).

If the firmware cannot boot in legacy mode at all and you do not want Debian to share the EFI partition on the NVMe drive, then you have to reduce one partition on the SATA drive in order to make room for an EFI partition. Reducing the /boot partition can be done with gparted and is easier than reducing the encrypted partition. To reduce the encrypted partition, you need to:
- reduce the root filesystem and LVM logical volume with resize2fs and lvreduce
- (probably) move the swap logical volume physical extents from the end to the beginning of the LVM physical volume with pvmove - or just delete and recreate it with the same name with lvremove, lvcreate and mkswap
- reduce the LVM physical volume (sda5_crypt) with pvresize
- reduce the encrypted partition (sda5) with parted.
If you fail to reduce properly you may ruin all the installation.
On the other hand, reducing the /boot partition leaves less space to install Linux kernels. Each Debian kernel requires about 60 MiB (this increases with each Debian release) + 60 MiB extra free space for kernel update, and GRUB takes 15 MiB in /boot. So taking 35 to 50 MiB from 487 MiB for the EFI partition (32,5 MiB is the minimum size according to the Debian installer) leaves quite enough space in /boot for more than 3 kernels.
The EFI partition must have the "EFI" type (efi flag in Gparted) and must be formatted as FAT. Maybe set the boot flag to it instead of the /boot partition, not sure.
From the Debian installer in rescue mode, open the encrypted partition, launch a shell in the root logical volume and mount /boot.
In the shell, create a /boot/efi directory and mount the new EFI partition on it.
Install grub-efi-amd64. Say "yes" to force installation into the removable media path.
That should do it (if I did not forget any step).

If it eventually appears that the UEFI firmware is broken and cannot boot on DOS/MBR partition table, you have to convert the drive to GPT. You can use gdisk for this. There is a little chance that there is not enough free space at the end of the drive for the backup partition table (33 sectors). If this happens, you will have to reduce the last partition.

Good luck. Still certain you don't want to reinstall ?

postcd

#12 Post by postcd »

Thank You, I have followed the instructions @p.H
set decrypted lvm /root, /boot, mounted efi FAT32 partition with esp, boot flags, apt install grub-efi-amd64 said "Media change: please insert the disc labeled Debian... in /media/cdrom", so i had to "nano /etc/apt/sources.list" and prefix the cdrom line by #, save and repeat, this time it was installed, with some warnings:
/boot/efi & /sys/firmware/efi/efivars was empty; File /etc/drub.d/30_uefi-firmware exist and contained line with --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1

I have NOT executed:
grub-install /dev/sdX OR grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi /dev/sdX OR grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
update-grub
During post/reboot F1 key i can select to Boot from file, there was added new entry BOOT ESP (that is how i labeled the EFI partition)
yet that menu entry launched nothing

So i am now thinking to try gdisk as you have suggested to convert part table to UEFI: gdisk /dev/sdX; apt install gdisk grub2-efi-x64-modules
find / -name *.efi;du /boot/efi
partprobe /dev/sdX # reload part. table
efibootmgr
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sdX --part PARTITION-NUMBER --loader "\EFI\PATH\grubx64.efi" --label "BOOT RECORD LABEL"
grub-install /dev/sdX OR grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi /dev/sdX || grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
Do you have idea or feedback about that commands or what to try?
Last edited by postcd on 2022-03-12 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by p.H »

The UEFI boot menu shows the EFI partition on the SATA drive, so I do not think that converting to GPT is necessary.
It should show a boot entry labelled "debian", but I have seen other HP firmwares not handling EFI boot entries properly, so it does nogt surprise me much. The most reliable solution is to install GRUB in the removable media path as I indicated. But it seems that debconf failed to run in interactive mode, not giving you the opportunity to select this option.

EDIT 2 : it seems that the debconf errors are caused by the graphical installer (don't know why). Try again with non graphical rescue mode.

EDIT 3 (workaround) : or run in the graphical rescue shell

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=dialog dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64
EDIT : The BOOT ESP partition should contain /EFI/debian/shimx64.efi. In the UEFI boot menu select this file to boot Debian

Otherwise, run the installer in rescue mode again, mount the root volume and the /boot partition, mount the EFI partition on /boot/efi (that should be automated in /etc/fstab), launch a shell in root and run

grub-install --force-extra-removable
Or from the other system, mount the EFI partition of the SATA drive anywhere, copy EFI/debian/grubx64.efi in EFI/boot (create the directory if missing) and copy EFI/debian/shimx64.efi as EFI/boot/bootx64.efi.

postcd

#14 Post by postcd »

Debian started booting

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=dialog dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64
yes, this worked and prompted something like to setup grub on removable drive/path, i selected no, i do not want.
Then it prompted to update NVRAM to boot Debian, i selected Yes.

Yours mentioned shimx64.efi was only found in /usr/lib/shim/ so i have copied it to mounted (to /boot/efi) efi fat32 partition created earlier. It not worked to boot from it:
Failed to open \grubx64.efi - Not found
Failed to load image -"-

After went back to rescue, ran grub-install, result: "EFI variables are not supported on this system.."
same when ran "apt reinstall grub-efi-amd64"
i have also tried "grub-install --force-extra-removable --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --recheck /dev/sdX"
"update-grub"
(sdX is Debian drive returned by "lsblk". Possibly many switches were redundant)

Then i have found .efi files was added to /boot/efi mounted partition by any of the 3 commands shown above - i am wondering which or which/which switches was necessary to run.

---------------------------------
->> Debian booting right away without need to BIOS "Boot from file". Thank you @p.H , I welcome your/all feedback, so far it seems that what worked was:

Use gparted to resize /boot partition to make room for new 40MB fat32 partition with esp, boot flags.
Boot Debian installer, Advanced options, Graphical rescue, ..., answer passphrase if have LVM encrypted drive, select /dev/hostname-vg/root as your root FS (or other appropriate /root). Confirm to mount /boot
Select to execute shell in above mentioned root path and run:
lsblk # to discover your small esp/efi partition path according to displayed size (lets say it is /dev/sda3 - used below)
mkdir /boot/efi && mount /dev/sda3 /boot/efi
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=dialog apt install grub-efi-amd64
grub-install --force-extra-removable --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --recheck /dev/sdX # sdX being your Debian drive displayed by "lsblk"
update-grub
Now go back and reboot, maybe you can now Boot Debian, F1 key or F12 to select boot device. If problem, try to play with BIOS Secure boot, Fast boot. This is so sad scenario thanks to Debian unable to tell noob user what may happen on this screen:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by p.H »

postcd wrote: 2022-01-23 18:37 prompted something like to setup grub on removable drive/path, i selected no, i do not want.
Why not ? I said to select yes to not rely on flaky EFI boot variables.
postcd wrote: 2022-01-23 18:37 shimx64.efi was only found in /usr/lib/shim/ so i have copied it to mounted (to /boot/efi) efi fat32 partition created earlier. It not worked to boot from it:
Of course it did not work. Other files are required, and should already be present in EFI/debian in the EFI partition. If they are not present, it means that GRUB was not properly installed. Was the EFI partition mounted properly before ?
postcd wrote: 2022-01-23 18:37 After went back to rescue, ran grub-install, result: "EFI variables are not supported on this system.."
Yes, it is expected because the rescue shell does not mount efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars automatically. But it does not matter if you run grub-install with --force-extra-removable.

Even if your setup works now, it may be a bit messy. Please post the output of the following commands for a check :

efibootmgr -v
debconf-show grub-efi-amd64
cat /etc/fstab
find /boot/efi
postcd wrote: 2022-01-23 18:37 thanks to Debian unable to tell noob user what may happen on this screen:
IMO the Debian installer is not for "noob" users, it is for users who know what they are doing and whether there are installed systems which boot in BIOS mode or not.

postcd

#16 Post by postcd »

p.H wrote: 2022-01-23 22:35Even if your setup works now, it may be a bit messy. Please post the output of the following commands for a check :

efibootmgr -v
debconf-show grub-efi-amd64
cat /etc/fstab
find /boot/efi
Hi, i have posted the output here...
Is it looking good, or what to try?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by p.H »

Why didn't you post it here ? It would be more convenient for readers interested in this thread, and future readers won't be able to see it as it will expire in a month.

No, it does not look good.

$ efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0003,0001,0000,0004
(...)
Boot0001* Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x1)/Sata(3,65535,0)N.....YM....R,Y.....ISPH
Boot0002* debian        HD(3,MBR,0xa67a1416,0x800,0x11800)/File(\EFI\debian\shimx64.efi)
(...)
There is a "debian" boot entry which is first in BootOrder but BootCurrent indicates that it was not used to boot, and the removable media path fallback on the SATA drive was used instead.

$ debconf-show grub-efi-amd64
(...)
* grub2/force_efi_extra_removable: false
grub-efi-amd64 is not set up to install GRUB in the removable media path (the location used to boot according to efibootmgr, see above) on update.

/etc/fstab does not have an entry to mount the EFI partition on /boot/efi. So the EFI partition is not mounted and its content is not visible in /boot/efi.

1) Add an entry to mount the EFI partition on /boot/efi in /etc/fstab (run blkid to get the actual UUID):

UUID=xxxx-xxxx /boot/efi vfat umask=0022
2) Mount the EFI partition with

mount /boot/efi
3) Run

dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64
and answer "yes" to install in the removable media path.

postcd

#18 Post by postcd »

I have proceed per the p.H. suggestion creating efi partition, then running: sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64
Setting following on prompts: empty command line, empty boot parameters, set to save to nvram, set efi removable
it finished OK.
reboot OK

$ debconf-show grub-efi-amd64
* grub2/force_efi_extra_removable: true

seems to be solved. thank you

I wish Debian have better detected computer BIOS UEFI support and be more clear about what will happen if using outdated legacy method (non bootable system on new computers which no longer support legacy boot)