Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Debian on a DELL Inspiron 5515 Laptop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
TheTuxdude

Installing Debian on a DELL Inspiron 5515 Laptop

#1 Post by TheTuxdude »

TL;DR - I have a DELL Inspiron 5515 laptop which includes an AMD Ryzen 5500U CPU with an on-die AMD Ryzen GPU. I have attempted to both launch the installer as well as the live image, for both Debian 11.3 and Debian testing, but I am having trouble getting past the initial GRUB boot menu.

I am using the iso flashed on my USB flash drive to boot my Inspiron 5515 laptop. I have disabled Secure boot in my BIOS. The boot mode is set to UEFI.

I see the GRUB menu on the laptop's display as well as the loading kernel and loading initrd messages. But the screen doesn't update after that. The screen doesn't go blank either. I do however see the USB flash drive activity light blink, which does indicate the system is attempting to boot.

If I wait roughly a minute, press the window key, type terminal, hit enter and then do `sudo reboot`, and hit Enter - I do see the laptop rebooting. This just confirms that the OS does boot into the GUI, but somehow doesn't configure the primary laptop display correctly.

I also attempted including kernel boot params like `nomodeset`, `noacpi`, `acpi=off`, `amdgpu.blacklist=yes` but I do not see anything beyond the initial GRUB boot messages on the laptop's display. I see the exact same issue with both Debian 11.3 and Debian testing images - both live as well as installer. With the installer, there is no option to launch the terminal, hence can't reboot. But otherwise, the result is identical.

I also attempted other live images like Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and also a Majaro image. Both of them were able to boot into the OS successfully without any changes to the kernel boot parameters.

I am guessing, this is something to do with the combination of the kernel config used by Debian and my laptop's hardware configuration. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Installing Debian on a DELL Inspiron 5515 Laptop

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Use the unofficial installer with firmware included?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

TheTuxdude

Re: Installing Debian on a DELL Inspiron 5515 Laptop

#3 Post by TheTuxdude »

Thanks, the unofficial installer which includes the firmwares did the trick. Was able to boot the live image and kick off the install :)