Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Bullseye 11.3 stable with LXQT on a GB-BMCE-5105

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dsss91

Installing Bullseye 11.3 stable with LXQT on a GB-BMCE-5105

#1 Post by dsss91 »

Hi Debian people, I had little to no experience with linux prior to this; but I've spent a couple full days trying to get this to work with lots of googling and I've learnt a lot of useful skills; but it still doesn't work :( so coming to the community is my last effort on this. You may think as you read this that I have no idea what I'm talking about; you might be right.

I used the non free cd-rom iso file mounted onto my usb flash drive. I also copied over 3 non-free firmwares that I believe I might need (for some reason the firmware files in the non-free debian image are empty files). These 3 firmwares include firmware-realtek_20210315-3_all.deb that I am prompted for in the installation, intel-microcode_3.20220207.1~deb11u1_amd64.deb which based on googling seemed like a good idea, and firmware-misc-nonfree_20210315-3_all.deb which contains firmware for i915, in particular firmware for gemini lake which is what the integrated graphics chip is (UHD 605) on the GB-BMCE-5105

Problem begins on my first boot. It finishes booting, except it doesn't load the GUI, LXQT. So I use Ctrl + Alt + F4 to enter the command line and login as user and root. I try startlxqt, but the result I get is:

Code: Select all

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. 

Available platform plugins are : (list of plugins) 
There are a lot of results on the internet with similar problems, so I tried all that made sense. I entered

export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
before startlxqt to get more information, but (you'll have to trust me on this) nothing came up.

I tried

dmesg
and found this:

Your device 4e61 is not properly supported by the driver in this kernel version. To force driver probe anyway, use i915.force_probe=4e61 module parameter or CONFIG_DRM_I915_FORCE_PROBE=4e61 configuration option, or (recommended) check for kernel updates
Well I don't really want to update my Kernel since that would be leaving stable am I right?
I tried putting

i915.force_probe=4e61
into /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf and restarting, but nothing has changed.

Going back in time, I previously installed debian with LXDE on the same system. The GUI started up fine but there was a problem where it couldn't detect my monitor, so I was stuck at a non-native resolution of 800x600. I was kind of hoping reinstalling LXQT would have solved that but it seems that the problem goes deeper.

Based on all this it seems this is to do with the integrated graphics talking to the OS. Anyone got any thoughts or ideas that could set me on the right path?

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: Installing Bullseye 11.3 stable with LXQT on a GB-BMCE-5105

#2 Post by fabien »

dsss91 wrote: 2022-05-20 15:20Well I don't really want to update my Kernel since that would be leaving stable am I right?
This is rather recent hardware that has most chance to not be handled by Bullseye kernel. The recommended method to upgrade to newer kernel is using Debian backports.

add

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main
to your /etc/apt/sources.list (this will not pull newer versions unless you explicitly state it)
and then

apt -t bullseye-backports -sV install linux-image-amd64
Also, check if you have firmware-realtek, intel-microcode, and firmware-misc-nonfree packages installed.

dsss91

#3 Post by dsss91 »

This is rather recent hardware that has most chance to not be handled by Bullseye kernel. The recommended method to upgrade to newer kernel is using Debian backports.
Okay if that's the way forward.

I tried your commands and the kernel updated to 5.16 smoothly, I also double checked the three firmwares were installed, they are at least now - seems intel microcode wasn't. Rebooted, but nothing has changed. Same message when I try startlxqt.

Thank you for your thoughts though, at least it's getting narrowed down.

I'm going to take a little break and attack it fresh after the weekend - I got some ideas of what to check

dsss91

#4 Post by dsss91 »

Went ahead and put "nomodeset" into etc/default/grub in order to fall back on the basic vesa driver. It means I'm stuck at a low resolution, which is annoying because sometimes the window doesn't even fit on the screen, but at least it mostly functions.

Will just have to wait until there is a kernel release that will support my setup.

Any better solutions are still welcome as it is still no good for its secondary purpose as a media centre.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#5 Post by fabien »

I found this thread that shows that your hardware (Celeron N5105 with JasperLake Gen11 UHD Graphics) works with at least 5.13 kernel. Also attested here. There should be a problem elsewhere.