Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Bad archive mirror

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
MGaddict

[Solved] Bad archive mirror

#1 Post by MGaddict »

I am trying to install the latest version of Debian. I used the netinstall CD which I downloaded from Debian's website. Checksum looked good. Burned that to a CD.
Every single archive is telling me "Bad archive mirror".
I used ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a console.
ping 192.168.1.1 is G2G
ping debian.org is G2G
ping 8.8.8.8 is G2G
I have another laptop connected to the same switch that I am using to write this thread. So I know the network is working just fine.
Use ctrl+alt+f4 to see the syslog.
"WARNING **: mirror does not support the specified release (bullseye)"
Ummmm, so you're telling me none of the Debian mirrors support the latest release?
ctrl+alt+f5 gets me back to the install.

MGaddict

Re: Bad archive mirror

#2 Post by MGaddict »

Okay, It's been an hour, I did not restart the install or anything, I just tried the same mirror for the 100th time and it worked. Only thing I can figure is that all the servers were mirroring or something and my timing for doing this install this morning was bad.

Endless

#3 Post by Endless »

Very helpful post.
I'm getting the exact same error and situation as yours above (for Bookworm), just a few months later.
I too find it hard to believe the latest release is having trouble or that's it's bad timing on my part.
Quite disheartening though, because my love for Linux Mint now finds me getting deeper into basic Linux with Debian, but I'm stuck.
I guess I'll keep trying.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by donald »

Hi,

This sounds like when the download attempts were made, the mirror itself was updating from the master server. In the future check the mirror itself to see its status which can be done via http and looking to see if the remote directory holds a file named 'Archive Update in Progress' if it does hold that file you should wait until the update finishes I.E. that file disappears,or choose another mirror.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

Endless

#5 Post by Endless »

Yes, indeed that what happened, and I was able to complete the install a bit later on after.
Pls mark as SOLVED as applicable.
Thanks.