Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11.3 in Virtual Box [solved]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
vladuna

Debian 11.3 in Virtual Box [solved]

#1 Post by vladuna »

Any special VB setting for installation?
I used both debian-11.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso and debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso for installation and getting the same error:
After -> Choose the sw ti install: Debian desktop, SSH, standard system utilities
(Had tried KDE or Gnome before as well)
-> Installation step failed
Running Debian Pure Blend (GIS edition) with no problems (and Mint, Lubuntu).
Last edited by vladuna on 2022-07-01 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Northpoint

Re: Debian 11.3 in Virtual Box

#2 Post by Northpoint »

Hello,
I do not know what the exact error is. All you posted was "Installation step failed". So, I will add this and it might fix things.

I was installing to a server and it would error out. So, I played around and what solved my issues was - When it errored I went back to the install steps menu and told it to re-read the cdrom. This fixed things. So, It seems it was losing the mount point or whatever of the cdrom (which was actually a usb stick).

See if that helps. As for any special settings, I cannot think of any off hand. As for networking in VB I normally choose a bridge connection instead of the default NAT.
Get your linux on.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Which "Installation step failed"?

Have you tried any other linux.iso in your Virtual Box? If so, did it install successfully?

How did you install Virtual Box? Did you get it from the Debian Stable repository or did you get it elsewhere?

Virtual Box has had some problems and several of us on this forum won't use it. There are alternatives.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by NFT5 »

Without knowing which installation step failed it's quite difficult to diagnose the problem.

However, there are a few things that come to mind:

- Instead of trying to install from a USB, or or CD/DVD it is more reliable and much faster to point VirtualBox to the .iso file on your hard drive. Sometimes there can be a battle between host and guest for resources.

- Choose "bridged adaptor" for your network. This will allow clear access for the installer to access the internet for files it needs to download. You can change it later if you want/need to.

- If setup of a virtual machine fails, just delete it and start again. Trying to fix a failed installation is not worth the trouble.

vladuna

#5 Post by vladuna »

Thanx for your answers, I will keep playing with that until the issue is sorted.
Host: Windows 11 Home, VBox 6.1.30, Linuxes as guests
Re: Northpoint
- "Installation step failed" - the only thing it says, no error code or anything else
- using two ISO files as mentioned above
- network bridging works fine, when istalling from netinst.iso sw downloaded o.k.
Re: Bulkley
- Mint, OSGeo (Lubuntu), SUSE, even Debian Pure Bled (GIS eddition of Debian) running o.k.
- need "pure" Debian to follow 'setting Debian as a router' manual
- yes, VBox is not ideal, had to downgrade to 6.1.30 as the latest version had some issues with some Linuxes (I had used VMWare and I liked it but it is a paid SW, tried Hyper-V but I hated that sw from the very beginning, now with VBox and I like it and guest mostly work without issues)
Re: NFT5
- exactly, iso files
- bridged works great
- tried with two different ISOs (but the same version) and different setting with no success yet, but I continue; I will probably download older version of Debian and will try with it

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

vladuna wrote: 2022-06-28 15:29 - "Installation step failed" - the only thing it says, no error code or anything else
Full error messages are printed to TTY4, which can be accessed by using <ctrl>+<alt>+F4 (or just <alt>+F4 from the non-graphical installer).

No idea how to switch to a console screen in VirtualBox though, I don't use that POS software.
Bulkley wrote:How did you install Virtual Box? Did you get it from the Debian Stable repository or did you get it elsewhere?
That's a good question — VB is not available from the stable repositories because the Debian developers think it's rubbish.
deadbang

vladuna

#7 Post by vladuna »

Mistake:
Fixed size small HD (4GB)

Explanation and excuse:
I am ex-user of VMWare Workstation (started with the ver. 6, quite a long time ago). It used to be recommanded for a better perfomance to use v fixed size HD. I kept doing this alhough it is obsolete nowadays as I learned just now. Using CloneVDI utility to transform fixed size vmdk to expanding vdi I noticed the size of the HD.

My Debian installation on VBox is up and running. Many thanks for your support.