Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian archive mirror error detected

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
debian88

Debian archive mirror error detected

#1 Post by debian88 »

I just downloaded a copy of the Debian 8.11 net installer from here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/arch ... etinst.iso

I was going through the install as normal, but when it got to network mirror I get:

An error has been detected when trying to use the specified Debian archive mirror.

Possible reasons... incorrect mirror, mirror not available, mirror broken, mirror does not support the correct Debian version.

Please check specified mirror or try a different one.

I tried a bunch of them, but they all do the same thing. I've never had this issue when installing Debian before. I am using the net installer for amd64, graphical installer (though I don't install with a GUI). I'm installing as a VM in HyperV, on a server currently running both a Debian 10 and Debian 11 VM. The VM is configured exactly the same way. I don't have a network issue, presumably the mirrors are valid since I can ping some of them...

Is there any chance that somehow support for Debian 8 has been removed from some mirrors? If so, how should I proceed here? I'm pretty sure I'll need the net installer since I'll have to be able to install a large number of packages when I'm logged in.

For context, I am trying to debug some software where it's been narrowed down that a major regression was introduced into it in 2014. However, due to the complexity of the project, and the age of releases at that time, it doesn't compile on newer Debian versions. So I don't think I have any choice but to try to install it on Debian 8.11, which is probably the newest Debian release that would work seamlessly.

Many thanks in advance!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Debian archive mirror error detected

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

Jessie has moved to archives but your installer thinks it is current.
Install what you can from the iso then boot into your new install and change your sources.list to archives repo.

Code: Select all

deb https://archive.debian.org/debian/ jessie contrib main non-free
then

Code: Select all

apt-get update