Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

( closed )Trying to install debian without all bloatware

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Marie SWE

( closed )Trying to install debian without all bloatware

#1 Post by Marie SWE »

Hi :D

So I have 5 computers to install next week and I trying to install then without all unnecessary things as example media player, office, games and so on and so on.
Network install is the same as full ISO install.. I still get the unwanted things..

So how can I make an install without having to spend more time uninstall a lot of things after every install.
Is it possible to edit the install.iso to opt out of unwanted software/packages?
I know how to do it in windows install.wim, so the question is how do I do it in Debian? (Debian stable non-free Xfce)

Regard Marie

Edit.
So be more specific in case I was misunderstood.
I want to change the installers package list and remove some unwanted software packages and to add a few other packages.
So I can save time on five computer installs.
Last edited by Marie SWE on 2022-07-29 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trying to install debian without all bloatware

#2 Post by CwF »

you could try dselect.

Marie SWE

#3 Post by Marie SWE »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-30 22:45 you could try dselect.
is it this you mean?
https://wiki.debian.org/dselect
https://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i ... t-beginner

It doesn't look like an iso/installer editor.
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-06-30 23:38 It doesn't look like an iso/installer editor.
It's not, but likely less.
All 5 the same? then do 1 and record/import the package list to a bare install.
Just less work I'd guess.

Marie SWE

#5 Post by Marie SWE »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-30 23:54
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-06-30 23:38 It doesn't look like an iso/installer editor.
It's not, but likely less.
All 5 the same? then do 1 and record/import the package list to a bare install.
Just less work I'd guess.
it is three desktops.. to intel(one with nvidia) one amd.. two intel laptops
business network with a windows server
I want a iso for future installs so to speak, in case i build a new desktop

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

When doing a Debian install you can uncheck most of the choices offered and install without a desktop or window manager. What you get is a bare minimum without any GUI. From there you can install what you want. Stay away from meta packages.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-06-30 20:07 I want to change the installers package list and remove some unwanted software packages and to add a few other packages.
See https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live ... ex.en.html

The manual is long but it's simpler than it looks. Start here.
deadbang

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

FWIW. I use scripts to both remove and add software on both Debian & Devuan based distros. The scripts work splendidly and are quite fast. I know it's the non-techie approach.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Hallvor »

I wonder if this works:

Start with the bare minimum and install all the packages you want on one of the computers, then save a list of all the installed packages to a text file:

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > ~/packages.txt
Copy the list over to each computer, and then:

xargs -a packages.txt apt-get install
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Marie SWE

#10 Post by Marie SWE »

Bulkley wrote: 2022-07-01 05:31 When doing a Debian install you can uncheck most of the choices offered and install without a desktop or window manager. What you get is a bare minimum without any GUI. From there you can install what you want. Stay away from meta packages.
I did consider it just 30minutes before I started this thread.. but I think it takes more time to install all I want then uninstall the unwanted things. :(

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-07-01 16:01
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-06-30 20:07 I want to change the installers package list and remove some unwanted software packages and to add a few other packages.
See https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live ... ex.en.html

The manual is long but it's simpler than it looks. Start here.
Thanks for the link :D I will take a look at it tomorrow.. I got home a bit late tonight, so I'm to tired to understand all technical tings.. I have open the links in new tabs to just start read them tomorrow. :D
Is this about how to make an own ISO? to remove and add packages?

manyroads wrote: 2022-07-01 19:58 FWIW. I use scripts to both remove and add software on both Debian & Devuan based distros. The scripts work splendidly and are quite fast. I know it's the non-techie approach.
I have never written a sudo script in my 4years of Linux usage, so I need to learn how to do that first :oops: then I need to find out what the packages name is as a lot of apps/programs is translated to swedish in the menu.

Hallvor wrote: 2022-07-01 22:52 I wonder if this works:

Start with the bare minimum and only add what you need.

Install all the packages you want on one of the computers, then save all the installed packages to a text file:

dpkg --get-selections > ~/packages.txt
Copy the list over to each computer, and then:

xargs -a packages.txt apt-get install
This one I have looked at.. It had 1400 / 1500+ packages on my debian install I have now.. so it is massive. :mrgreen:
I had an open chat in another forum to find ways to cut corners to new installs... and it ended with that it is probably easier to make my own custom install ISO.. to remove and add packages to make future installs easier and all my now 5computer installs. as Debian have 5years support. :) So perhaps I can use the custom install 10-20 times in those 5years. and I also use a few .deb packages that isn't in debians repos. so apt-get won't work on them.

I even consider the cloning way, but all computers have different disksize, hardware, screen setups, network-access.. so I ruled it out as an option
I will though use: dconf dump / < custom-1-de .before the install and then after the install: dconf load / < custom-1-de .(1= first to fifth computer) to try restore my custom desktop settings. if it works or not.. that has to be seen... I hope it will work as that will save a lot of time. :oops:
Then there is all the .conf files. :roll: but i never found a way to cut corners there.. I can copy&paste some of them, but the fstab I will have to manually edit to get my networkdrives... then I don't remember what .conf file my screen settings are in.. as I have custom resolutions and multiple screens.

So I do feel a bit frustrated that I know how to add/remove apps and do custom registry rewrites in a windows install ISO(the wim file) but not how to do it with a Linux ISO.. (yet). :mrgreen: and my OEM software I have to customize/manipulate widows ISOs will probably not work on an DebianISO :lol: :mrgreen:
But is has to be possible, as the Debian developers add packages to the install ISO.. if they can, it has to be possible to add/remove packages in the ISO afterwards.. and I guess once we figure out how to do it.. it will probably be a relatively easy solution. :D it's often the "figuring out" part that is the hard part with Linux. :mrgreen:

sometimes I think that out of the box installs with no customization's or even a local network probably is the ultimate relief/blessing you can have in life. :lol:

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-07-02 00:05 It had 1400 / 1500+ packages
That's not huge, that's around complete. Plenty people have 1800+ messes!
Slimming under 1200 needs carefully chosen ways. Part of the fat are multiple ways to do the same thing, so choices are made. Tighter than about 1050 those choices are all made.. Leaving out major functionality you may not need you can approach 800 and still have a full gui desktop with narrow functionality.

Marie SWE

#12 Post by Marie SWE »

CwF wrote: 2022-07-02 00:53
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-07-02 00:05 It had 1400 / 1500+ packages
That's not huge, that's around complete. Plenty people have 1800+ messes!
Slimming under 1200 needs carefully chosen ways. Part of the fat are multiple ways to do the same thing, so choices are made. Tighter than about 1050 those choices are all made.. Leaving out major functionality you may not need you can approach 800 and still have a full gui desktop with narrow functionality.
Okay.. and now I know that. :mrgreen: thanks for the info
I'm not used to Linux yet, so I know this things. :D

I like clean installs.. a lot of programs is okay to have if needed... what I don't like is to have to start uninstall things on a brand new install.. even if Linux is better then windows of cleaning out the uninstalled things, it always leaves somethings behind.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by CwF »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-07-02 04:19 I like clean installs..
So do I. I was exited with cdimage customizing tight tailored installs since NT. Nlite was cake.
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-07-02 04:19 even if Linux is better then windows of cleaning out the uninstalled things
It's not.
A package list from an ideal install fashioned in the convenience of a vm would serve you well.

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

Here's the entirety of my install "script" (I just cut & paste the following into a terminal)

sudo apt install aptitude atop bleachbit bpytop brightnessctl caffeine celluloid conky dunst diodon filezilla feh fzf gcc gcolor3 gdebi geany geany-plugins gimp git grsync gsimplecal gparted grub-customizer gucharmap htop i8kutils libx11-dev libxft-dev libxinerama-dev lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings luckybackup lxappearance lxpolkit lxqt-powermanagement lxtask make mousepad neofetch nitrogen nmon pnmixer polybar powertop qpdfview rofi ranger sl sxhkd synaptic transmission-gtk tlp udiskie wavemon wmctrl xautolock xcompmgr xdo xdotool xorg yad zenity zim gucharmap  i3 i3lock-fancy openbox obconf slick-greeter lightdm-settings 
If you want to make it into a real script add the following to the first line of the file (and make the file executable) Like so:

#! /bin/bash
sudo apt install aptitude atop bleachbit bpytop brightnessctl caffeine celluloid conky dunst diodon filezilla feh fzf gcc gcolor3 gdebi geany geany-plugins gimp git grsync gsimplecal gparted grub-customizer gucharmap htop i8kutils libx11-dev libxft-dev libxinerama-dev lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings luckybackup lxappearance lxpolkit lxqt-powermanagement lxtask make mousepad neofetch nitrogen nmon pnmixer polybar powertop qpdfview rofi ranger sl sxhkd synaptic transmission-gtk tlp udiskie wavemon wmctrl xautolock xcompmgr xdo xdotool xorg yad zenity zim gucharmap  i3 i3lock-fancy openbox obconf slick-greeter lightdm-settings
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-07-02 00:05Is this about how to make an own ISO? to remove and add packages?
Yes. Creating a custom desktop is as easy as setting a few options in configuration files and adding a package list (just like manyroads').

It's just like MX Linux's "re-master" tool but requires manual configuration rather than just copying whatever is running.

EDIT: misplaced apostrophe.
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2022-07-02 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by Hallvor »

I have 2662 packages installed on this computer. :wink: (Still very lean compared to a 20 GiB Windows install.)

Yes, it is probably easiest to just make an ISO if you want to install third party software.

I usually only install the standard system utilities in tasksel, finish the install, and then install the minimal metapackage kde-plasma-desktop (from the CLI) and build from there.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

craigevil

#17 Post by craigevil »

Sounds like what you want is fai.
FAI is a non-interactive system to install, customize and manage
Linux systems and software configurations on computers as well as
virtual machines and chroot environments, from small networks to
large infrastructures and clusters.
https://fai-project.org
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Marie SWE

#18 Post by Marie SWE »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-07-02 12:37
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-07-02 00:05Is this about how to make an own ISO? to remove and add packages?
Yes. Creating a custom desktop is as easy as setting a few options in configuration files and adding a package list (just like manyroads').

It's just like MX Linux's "re-master" tool but requires manual configuration rather than just copying whatever is running.

EDIT: misplaced apostrophe.
Hi again :D
i have taken a fast look on the links.... it is massive documentation it will take me a day or two to read. :oops: I don't read english as fast as i do swedish. :lol:
Do you know where in the documentation they mention what files to edit and what folders to put the new deb packages in?
MX Linux re-master tool? what is that?
Just copying whatever that's running is out of the question, as I have no system to copy... that's why I want to edit the install ISO as I do with windows install.wim.. the problem is to either find a program/GUI that can edit installs... or, to find the files where in the Debian install the packages are listed so I can delete some posts an to add my own posts and deb files.
Last edited by Marie SWE on 2022-07-03 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

Marie SWE

#19 Post by Marie SWE »

manyroads wrote: 2022-07-02 11:43 Here's the entirety of my install "script" (I just cut & paste the following into a terminal)

If you want to make it into a real script add the following to the first line of the file (and make the file executable) Like so:

#! /bin/bash
Okay, i thought it was a bit more in to a sudo install skript
So no , or ; or : between the programs.. just space
It is almost simpler than my screen resolution script. :)

Marie SWE

#20 Post by Marie SWE »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-07-02 12:42 I have 2662 packages installed on this computer. :wink: (Still very lean compared to a 20 GiB Windows install.)

Yes, it is probably easiest to just make an ISO if you want to install third party software.

I usually only install the standard system utilities in tasksel, finish the install, and then install the minimal metapackage kde-plasma-desktop (from the CLI) and build from there.
of course it is windows10 or win10spyware is just a mess. win98se and we have some cleaner system. :mrgreen:

Yes, that was my conclusion to in my other chat thread in an other forum.. easiest is to customize the install ISO... But... the big but is if i ever figure out where in the debian install iso to edit..
I have made me an bootable USB memory stick to be able to access it's content.. I have searched the entire medium/usb for Libre office as i know it will install that one.. but i cant find it.. so it has do be disguised under another name.. or they have encrypted the install list so no one can change the install iso