Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

installer won't boot with secure boot failures

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hamishm

installer won't boot with secure boot failures

#1 Post by hamishm »

I'm trying to install Debian 11.3 from the netinst iso (and I've also tried the live iso) from USB on a brand new Dell XPS 8950. The PC has secure boot enabled and I'd prefer to keep it on at this stage.

However, when it boots the installer and GRUB starts grub immediately lists a bunch of modules as failing to load with the error: secure boot forbids loading module from .....

This same occurs when I manually tell the PC to boot bootx64.efi. If I try to boot grubx64.efi then I get an "invalid signature detected" / "secure boot violation" error from the system instead.

I installed a Lenovo X1 system last year with exactly the same process so I'm not sure why the Dell is different. If I turn off secure boot then grub starts.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: installer won't boot with secure boot failures

#2 Post by p.H »

hamishm wrote: 2022-07-06 10:48 when it boots the installer and GRUB starts grub immediately lists a bunch of modules as failing to load with the error: secure boot forbids loading module from ...
Which modules ? GRUB prohibits loading modules when secure boot is enabled, but the GRUB present in Debian ISO images should not need to load any modules anyway.
What happens next ?
How did you write the ISO image to the USB drive ?
hamishm wrote: 2022-07-06 10:48 This same occurs when I manually tell the PC to boot bootx64.efi. If I try to boot grubx64.efi then I get an "invalid signature detected" / "secure boot violation" error from the system instead.
As expected.

hamishm

#3 Post by hamishm »

p.H wrote: 2022-07-06 12:08 What happens next ?
Nothing, it appears to hang there forever.

But, the machine has two video cards (built-in + PCI), and it turns out that GRUB was only displaying on the other one. The BIOS and grub errors display on both, but the GRUB menu only displays on the built-in.

So, false alarm. Thanks for your reply.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Yet another UEFI weirdness...

hamishm

#5 Post by hamishm »

To answer your question anyway, grub says it can't load the following modules: part_acorn, part_amiga, part_bsd, part_dfly, part_dvh, part_sun, part_sunpc.

There's a BIOS option called "Intel Multi-Display" which once disabled makes the PCI card the primary display, then grub comes up ok.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

hamishm wrote: 2022-07-06 23:50 grub says it can't load the following modules: part_acorn, part_amiga, part_bsd, part_dfly, part_dvh, part_sun, part_sunpc
These are partition schemes which are not included in the signed grubx64.efi, probably because they are not supported by UEFI and it is unlikely that they are used in UEFI installations (they could however).