Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot Install Debian-11.4.0 via iPXE.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Windows7ge

Cannot Install Debian-11.4.0 via iPXE.

#1 Post by Windows7ge »

For the fun of the adventure I’m exploring iPXE OS Installation functionality across various Linux distributions and documenting my discoveries with the more popular distros. I've been having some OK luck with other distributions but I'm having trouble making it happen with anything Debain based that isn't a Ubuntu derivative.

For example, anything Ubuntu based I found uses casper for net install and through a iPXE script can install strait from a .ISO file locally hosted using HTTP/TFTP.

However distros like plain Debian here amongst many others do not and so far I have yet to figure out how to make it work.

This is my iPXE config at the moment:

Code: Select all

:debian
kernel ${kernel}debian/11.4.0/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz
initrd ${initrd}debian/11.4.0/initrd.gz
boot
And I'm trying to use debian-11.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso as the data source. I don't want to use netboot as I don't want to rely on a public repo but I've near exhausted everything I can think of. Google's running out of answers, and I still don't see how I'm supposed to append debian-11.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso to the script. Is Debian and anything not casper based incapable of this or am I just missing a simple kernel argument that I seemingly cannot locate anywhere?

All input is welcome! Thanks! :D

flashydolphin8827

Re: Cannot Install Debian-11.4.0 via iPXE.

#2 Post by flashydolphin8827 »

Until you provide us with more of the pertinent information such as log files with the correct time and date stamp(s), we wont be able to help you properly diagnose and fix the issue that you are having/running into. I know that you are feelin over whelmed but trust me I have been using Debian and is derivative distributions for the past twenty-two years and their ar still time when I have to humble myself and ask for hel so jus know that you are in good hands here in the debian community. Further may I suggest that you would possibly get some very good solutions for this problem if you posted it on the debian-users mailing list.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

The wiki is your friend - https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Windows7ge

#4 Post by Windows7ge »

sunrat wrote: 2022-08-16 22:57 The wiki is your friend - https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
Since I posted this I came up with a compromise solution. I have the Internet version of the installer working so I can PXEboot the installer then it downloads the OS from a mirror site.

Not what I was hoping for but it's the best I came up with. I'm not seeing what I was looking to do as being possible.