Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Apt broken after install. Debian10. G5 powerpc

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
mchaos

Apt broken after install. Debian10. G5 powerpc

#1 Post by mchaos »

Trying to install debian 10 on a g5 power mac. Powerpc.

Can get through install. I add the correct repo's and updat apt. After which if I try to install something for example vim, it goes through apt until the very end when the finishing scripts fail and I get an error. Then after which I get a constant error with libc6. Cannot read. Then I get a message telling me to apt --fix-broken install.... but if I ru. That, it doesn't fix it. And if I log out, I cannot log back in. It let's me enter username, but doesn't ask for a password, and tells me incorrect login.

I have added ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports..

With sid main, unstable main and unreleased main,

I have tried each by them selves, all of them together, and several combinations of them.

I have added during at the end of setup, and after install and reboot.

After adding the repo, it will update with no errors.

Am I missing something???

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Apt broken after install. Debian10. G5 powerpc

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Have you installed the 64 bit version (see https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/) ?
Have you followed the instruction at https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ppc64el/ ?
Have you checked the integrity of the installer's ISO image before installation ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wooty

Re: Apt broken after install. Debian10. G5 powerpc

#3 Post by wooty »

This is happening for me as well, and I suspect the libc6 module may have dropped/broke ppc64 (Big-Endian) support. This is why the site only lists 32-bit Big-Endian PowerPC and 64-bit Little-Endian PowerPC. It appears earlier this year users of ppc64 Debian were able to install libc6 with no issues, however from Q1 2022 to now something changed.

I have tried installing Debian Sid NetInstall with issues here, and I believed it was the missing pmac-utils package that was the culprit.I have also tried using a Wheezy minimal image, updating to Jessie with archive sources, installing the latest apt package provided by Jessie, changing sources to Debian sid ports, and doing an upgrade. I am getting a few other dependency errors like with libcrypt1, but I am trying to work through these just to confirm this.

It would be interesting to view diff changes between current libc6 and a working version from earlier this year. I have been posting to Reddit, PowerProgress.org, and now here. Looks like Debian and Debian unstable ports may have finally dropped 64-bit big-endian. For now however, 32-bit big-endian may be unaffected but I haven't tested.

If anyone finds this and has had similar issues or any ideas, any responses would be welcomed.