Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Debian without all these foreign Tools, dicts...

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
gusi

Install Debian without all these foreign Tools, dicts...

#1 Post by gusi »

Hi, is there a way to install debian without these foreign Tools, Dictionaries , help, man and so on ??

4 years ago , a Debian-install with xfce (non-free-install) was 7 gb big
in the current days its 13 gb
with the same programs then before (all is on board , also wine , vmware,,)
The same client with Arch-Linux has 9 gb !!!
But Debian is more stable and i want use this OS further

The Difference to Arch is the whole support for all laguages worldwide , everyone become installed !
WHO NEED THAT ????
Look in a Launcher-File )))))
Im a German and i install this OS with full english , with a German-keyboard and EU-Time-Zone --> finish
i do never use korean or russian or hebrean in future !
Paeople from China, i think want to use chine and english, they dont need german or african !!!

Ok, i need the fonds , or i have trouble to watch foreign Web-site , but all the other foreign Stuff (4 GB !)
i dont need !!

*** Is there a way to install Debian with pure English ??? ***
i can install first Debian without X , and install xfce later or so , when this would be the way

L_V

Re: Install Debian without all these foreign Tools, dicts...

#2 Post by L_V »

gusi wrote: 2022-08-13 09:09 Hi, is there a way to install debian without these foreign Tools, Dictionaries , help, man and so on ??
4 years ago , a Debian-install with xfce (non-free-install) was 7 gb big
in the current days its 13 gb
Something wrong.
I use less than 4G for a KDE5 system.
Your major problem is not the documentation and dictionaries.
You can install localepurge, and run:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure localepurge
Your biggest packages:

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n |tail -n20
The best way to get a small installation is to start from a network installation (# 200MB) , and just add what your need.

gusi

#3 Post by gusi »

localepurge does not remove Dics and help-files
create an launcher after this, there are all Lauages in !
for example look in libre-office !
localepurge does not remove one help . man-file or dictionary ! i must make that manuell
After that libre-office is 30% lighter , and that is for all Software !.

But it cant be the Target , Debian does install ALL , and the User must remove that unneeded stuff with tools.
Let the User choose, for what a Language he need Support !
I think , ot one worldwide would press "ALL"

Excuse my bad english ))

gusi

@and just add what your need..

#4 Post by gusi »

yes and no: you can choose the software , u want
But, u can't choose : only with english support

L_V

Re: @and just add what your need..

#5 Post by L_V »

gusi wrote: 2022-08-13 09:47 for example look in libreoffice !
OK

You can install what you need from libreoffice: you choose what you need. Nobody else.

libreoffice-core            120 MB  
libreoffice-common          60,2 MB 
libreoffice-writer          39,2 MB 
libreoffice-calc            31,6 MB 

libreoffice-style-colibre   12,0 MB 
libreoffice-base-core       3 024 kB
libreoffice-kf5             300 kB  
libreoffice-plasma          305 kB  
libreoffice-style-breeze    7 324 kB
libreoffice-qt5             921 kB

gusi

#6 Post by gusi »

That is right L_V ,
if u have installed localepurge , and AFTER that , u install a software, then u will become only the lang-support , u need
BUT
if a user want fresh install Debian, he has download the Debian non-free , choose the xfce-cd (or an other)
then he has no chance ! Because he become all pakets for all languages,
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... e.packages
here an example for firefox (i see support for 30 languages , these will be installed with Calamaris
and Libre-offiffice, and so on , and u cant change that , so i think , the best for me ist:
a standard -install , and install xfce later
*** Small examle from nonfree.packages
firefox-esr-l10n-bs 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-ca 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-cs 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-cy 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-da 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-de 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-el 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-en-gb 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
firefox-esr-l10n-eo 91.11.0esr-1~deb11u1
-->endless list , also for other Software
DEBIAN ITself make this , install pakets without ask me in foreign Languages , and so u Client is even 30% bigger
like in Arch or Open-suse with the same software
If u say angl. in Open suse , all is only in english after an install
if u want more , u must this change in Yast--> Languages , and so also in Arch

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

After an install I run a script to clean out those items I want removed. You could try something similar. Here's a copy of my highly complex script:

sudo apt remove xfburn fcitx* exfalso libreoffice* firefox-esr mozc* goldendict* vlc* mlterm* fonts-thai* fonts-tlwg* task-thai* xfonts-thai* task-thai* xiterm+thai*
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

L_V

#8 Post by L_V »

Maybe you are right concerning the default iso installer (I've never used), although a bit surprised all these languages are installed by default.
There are so many ways to install Debian (netinstall / deboostrap / mini isos etc).
If you want something light, I would not recommend to use big and complete iso files.

You can have a look to your lang packs with this command:

dpkg -l |awk '/^i.*l10n-/{print $2}'
And did you have any problem reporting this command ?

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' |sort -n |tail -n20
And can you check this:

apt clean
du -mhd0 /var /usr
dpkg-reconfigure locales

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

L_V wrote: 2022-08-13 12:56 Maybe you are right concerning the default iso installer (I've never used), although a bit surprised all these languages are installed by default.
There are so many ways to install Debian (netinstall / deboostrap / mini isos etc).
If you want something light, I would not recommend to use big and complete iso files.
+1 with bells on. I use netinstall and it's under 7GB iirc after installing the minimal kde-plasma-desktop package plus firefox, thunderbird and a few smaller packages. The full DVD installers definitely include a lot of extraneous stuff for most people, but I guess that's to make it immediately useable for many varied users.
You can have a look to your lang packs with this command:

dpkg -l |awk '/^i.*l10n-/{print $2}'
And did you have any problem reporting this command ?

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' |sort -n |tail -n20
That dpkg command returned nothing here for some reason, but this returned 6 packages:

apt list -i *l10n*
All the Noto fonts packages take up over 700MB here but I find them useful as they provide a lot of foreign characters not available elsewhere.
Still, on a TB drive, even a few extra GB is tiny anyway.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

L_V

#10 Post by L_V »

sunrat wrote: 2022-08-13 15:13 I use netinstall and it's under 7GB iirc after installing the minimal kde-plasma-desktop package plus firefox, thunderbird and a few smaller packages.
It seems huge compared to mine. KDE PIM is not installed (no kmail / akonadi etc....)
And I don't install recommends (only what I need).

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50norecommends

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
sunrat wrote: 2022-08-13 15:13 That dpkg command returned nothing here for some reason
Because contrary to gusy, you very likely don't have any ***-l10n-xy extra language packages installed.

Noto fonts: I only have fonts-noto-mono & fonts-noto-color-emoji and mainly use fonts-liberation , fonts-dejavu.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

L_V wrote: 2022-08-13 15:33
sunrat wrote: 2022-08-13 15:13 I use netinstall and it's under 7GB iirc after installing the minimal kde-plasma-desktop package plus firefox, thunderbird and a few smaller packages.
It seems huge compared to mine.
I said under 7GB. Might have been several GB under. Installed long ago and memory is fuzzy. :mrgreen:
And I don't install recommends (only what I need).
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50norecommends

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
I leave recommends at default - install. Been bitten several times in the past by functionality missing when they are not installed. As I said, with TB OS drive (50 GB for Debian) a few extra packages are inconsequential.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

L_V

#12 Post by L_V »

Reminder of gusi problem:
Debian-install with xfce (non-free-install) : 13 GB
XFCE, not plasma !
From # 4 GB to 13 GB, there is something to clarify with the installer.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Hallvor »

gusi wrote: 2022-08-13 09:09 Im a German and i install this OS with full english , with a German-keyboard and EU-Time-Zone --> finish
i do never use korean or russian or hebrean in future !
Paeople from China, i think want to use chine and english, they dont need german or african !!!
Fine. Use localepurge.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=localepurge

Still not enough space? Get a hardware upgrade.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

pwzhangzz

#14 Post by pwzhangzz »

manyroads wrote: 2022-08-13 12:51 After an install I run a script to clean out those items I want removed. You could try something similar. Here's a copy of my highly complex script:

sudo apt remove xfburn fcitx* exfalso libreoffice* firefox-esr mozc* goldendict* vlc* mlterm* fonts-thai* fonts-tlwg* task-thai* xfonts-thai* task-thai* xiterm+thai*
Purging these packages also removes many unnecessary application icons (at least in gnome). Disk space is a minor thing but never-to-be-used icons (such as mozc, xterminal-Thai, etc) are an eye sore.

manyroads

#15 Post by manyroads »

FWIW Personally, I have no problem with the removed icons. I load my own base of icons to run with dwm, i3wm and openbox. I, also, strip out xfce.... I was simply providing an example of another approach, I was not recommending that anyone run my setup....

I do NOT run your father's Debian (to steal from an old Oldsmobile commercial) :lol:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

pwzhangzz

#16 Post by pwzhangzz »

manyroads wrote: 2022-08-13 17:30 FWIW Personally, I have no problem with the removed icons.
We used persistent Debian LiveUSB to teach senior citizens how to use computers (a pro bono project). They have a tendency to try and play with every icon on the application smorgasbord. An unexplainable icon (e.g., the Hebrew calendar or the fcitx input method) will screw their heads upside down. Most Debian users probably don't care about extraneous application icons, but we do. :D

Your comments about removing not-to-be-used applications are much appreciated. I hope the removal list will be expanded.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

manyroads wrote: 2022-08-13 12:51 After an install I run a script to clean out those items I want removed. You could try something similar. Here's a copy of my highly complex script:

I just did a simulation run of that on my system with KDE Plasma. It would have removed my whole desktop! Be careful out there. :|
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by canci »

I'm baffled by the amount of time and energy that went into this post/rant, where everything could have just been solved by RTFM and using the netinst image.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

canci wrote: 2022-08-14 10:09 I'm baffled by the amount of time and energy that went into this post/rant, where everything could have just been solved by RTFM and using the netinst image.
OP apparently was not aware of netinstall. One still needs to know what packages they want for starters, and how to install them using CLI as that's what first boot after a netinstall gives you. Many do not know how, so resort to the full installer DVD or (shudder) installing from the live system.

If you are baffled by this thread, you must be baffled by many others that get posted here and elsewhere! :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#20 Post by steve_v »

sunrat wrote: 2022-08-14 11:08OP apparently was not aware of netinstall.
Well it is right there in the wiki... People do still read the wiki before diving in on an unfamiliar system, right?
sunrat wrote: 2022-08-14 11:08 the full installer DVD or (shudder) installing from the live system.
There's something that isn't the netinstall iso? :P
I don't think I've ever used a full install disc or livecd to install Debian, and frankly I don't see any reason to unless you're still on dialup or living on the arse-end of the moon. You're going to want a 'net connection to fetch updates right after install anyway.
sunrat wrote: 2022-08-14 11:08If you are baffled by this thread, you must be baffled by many others that get posted here and elsewhere! :mrgreen:
I too am baffled, mostly at the number of people turning up here recently without even the most elementary understanding of GNU/Linux, and apparently completely unaware of the existence of manual pages, the wiki, the Debian handbook, etc.
Do people not do their homework before installing a totally new OS any more or what?

Even more baffling though is the number of exclamation marks in this thread. Almost as excessive as a 13GB default install footprint even.

As for the OP, 13GB is ridiculous. So is 7GB for that matter. Use the netinstall image and and install only the stuff you want.
If you still aren't happy with the install size: localepurge, dpigs, and some exploration with du and dpkg -S will likely sort that out. See the manual pages for details.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.