Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Serial ATA HDD for use in Sarge

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bahman

Installing Serial ATA HDD for use in Sarge

#1 Post by bahman »

Hi People,

I have the following:

1. image 1 sarge
2. 2xHardDisk Sweagate ATA-100
3. AUSU Motherboard P4P800-E

I have installed accoring to the instruction given to create an RAID 1. Then used win98 boot disk to format the HardDisk.

I started the PC with the sarge image1 CD. The installation starts well and continues until the partitioning the drives. And I get an error "No disk found!"

I can post the compelet error if required.

Note: Installing Debian for one hard disk is good, no errors.

Best Regards
Bahman

trave11er

Re: Installing Serial ATA HDD for use in Sarge

#2 Post by trave11er »

bahman wrote: I have installed accoring to the instruction given to create an RAID 1. Then used win98 boot disk to format the HardDisk.

I started the PC with the sarge image1 CD. The installation starts well and continues until the partitioning the drives. And I get an error "No disk found!"
If your goal is a Debian-only machine with RAID1 array, you should be able to construct that array directly during installation. You have to use a recent build of the development version of the debian-installer though. You can get it from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer . And do not format anything using the win98 boot disk :), the installer can create the native Linux filesystem (such as ext3) for you.

bahman

#3 Post by bahman »

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried several methods but they did not work. Now I follow your suggestion.

One thing though, the manual for the Motherboard Asus P4P800-E says that I have to use a different 40-1 pin slot on the board rather than using the usual pin. I did that and debian didn't see the HDDs.

So I don't know what to do about that. There is 50/50 chance here...

Best Regards
Bahman