Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

installation error

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
texas.chef94

installation error

#1 Post by texas.chef94 »

1. Had Ubuntu and win 7 in dual boot
2. Installed Debian with success in a multiple boot
3. At re-boot choose Debian and during load received following: Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Debian tty1
followed by Debian login: with blinking cursor.
Please not it might be relevant during installation I had to manually IP 192.168.1.70 and live CD
provided correct mask, but at gateway it provided a last number which I thought was incorrect
and I changed it to 254 which I felt was.
If this is too much info my apology.
Please advise an thank you for all help I have received
Note:
This new PC is a Toshiba L675D which when goggled reveals model has Linux incompatability
78 yr old hooked on Debian
chef11994@aol.com

mslinux

Re: installation error

#2 Post by mslinux »

Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Debian tty1
followed by Debian login: with blinking cursor.
It's not error, it's up and running.
If you expect to have a graphical login and desktop, you will need to install desktop environment.
See : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=61330
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

62chevy

#3 Post by 62chevy »

Not sure what you are expecting from your install? A console, Gnome, KDE, Xfce or Lxdm? Have you tried to use ping -c 4 www.yahoo.com to see if your network works?
Debian Buster

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

texas.chef94 wrote:during installation I had to manually IP 192.168.1.70
and live CD provided correct mask,
but at gateway it provided a last number which I thought was incorrect and I changed it to 254 which I felt was.
Can I assume neither the original number you thought was incorrect and 254 at the end of the gateway is working?
texas.chef94 wrote:Note:This new PC is a Toshiba L675D which when goggled reveals model has Linux incompatibility
what did the web page say about the incompatibility?
Can you link to the page?
and quote what you read?
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

texas.chef94

#5 Post by texas.chef94 »

Toshiba Satellite L675D incompatible w/ 2.6.35-22 kernel?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This from one user
Sadly, Toshiba's are well known to have ACPI bugs that make it hard to get some Linux kernels working. I own a T235D and the last version of Ubuntu I can install or run on it was 10.04. 10.10 simply fails to boot, with the cursor flashing like you mention. Do a goggle search for Linux Toshiba acpi and see all the problems scroll by

From another
I have two brand new (less than 60 days old) Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7016.
Neither will boot the live CD of 10.10-64, but the CD's work in other computers and I have installed successfully half a dozen times off of them.I get the initial text across the top, there is a momentary splash of the Ubuntu logo with a little battery symbol, then the screen goes black with a little flashing prompt in the upper left. that is all it will do until I hard reboot it.
I made the USB boot off the CD and tried that. It never gets beyond the initial text "syslinux 3.82 2009-06-09 EBIOS ..ect"
Frustrated, I re-installed 10.04, replacing 10.10 and everything works fine on both laptops.

Add to this my experience. ubuntu 10.04 working in dual boot (would not take 10.10), On Mint the loading sequence brings up error <1569139> NET: Registered Protocol family 1.
Debian loads with success in multiple boot, but at re-boot and choose Debian I get Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Debian tty 1 then debian login; WITH BLINKING CURSOR.
I have tried Suse 11.3 as well and freezes due to inability to execute bcdedit.
So presently confined to 10.04 and if my almost 80 year old patience continues and some guardian angel on forum comes through great. If not I will live with ubuntu.
Please advise and have a better day then me
chef11994@aol.com

mslinux

#6 Post by mslinux »

I'm sorry but I still don't understand with your
I get Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Debian tty 1 then debian login; WITH BLINKING CURSOR
Is it like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h07O39DyomU ??
If it is then, it's normal _IF_ you haven't installed any desktop enviroment yet.
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

texas.chef94

#7 Post by texas.chef94 »

Well guys wish this old man could find humor in this, but I deleted ans will start over. The ISO was verified and if it not my PC model then its either me or I need to do something before/during/ or after i install. Sorry about comprehension thing but do not understand the desk top comment. Is not desktop part of the ISO. Please advise and will wait to start a new till I hear from someone.

Retired Chef and not the sharpest knife in drawer any longer
chef11994@aol.com

craigevil

#8 Post by craigevil »

Install a desktop:
Gnome - Debian Wiki
http://wiki.debian.org/Gnome

KDE - Debian Wiki
http://wiki.debian.org/KDE
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

texas.chef94

#9 Post by texas.chef94 »

While I appreciate your help believe me I do, but these URL's with no other direction are rather difficult for me. This has just happened in last five years. not looking for sympathy
looking for directions to install Debian. Ok I can use terminal and I understand code somewhat. But if I cannot get to a fully installed debian how can I add things via terminal.
Is there not an ISO I can download and burn with gnome desktop etc. Please advise and again thanks for your patience.
chef11994@aol.com

sedonix

#10 Post by sedonix »

Listen up Ancient One; you're a couple of years older than me. I've downloaded, burned and installed many Debian distro's without a problem except for
missing graphics, wireless, printers, etc. drivers. You have a graphics driver problem. You have to find and install the correct one. I'm an outdoor guy so I'm
not spending a lot of time on forums. You don't have to know anything about Linux. Just think about what you're trying to accomplish and take it step by step.
It's a shame you're a thousand miles away or I'd whip over there and have you up and running in three shakes of a lambs tail. My best advice is to find a local
Linux guy or ship the laptop to me and I'll do it to it!
I'm old and my participation in this forum is proof of the miracles of modern medicine!

lindara

#11 Post by lindara »

I followed the instructions here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Gnome#task

which were

apt-get install aptitude tasksel
tasksel install gnome-desktop --new-install

and it broke everything (mouse stopped working, CPU overheated, inode errors, everything went very slowly, took long to open the terminal window - I thought it was a hardware porrblem)! Very scary!

I would recommend you just install Debian, which includes Gnome by default.

What fixed it was

aptitude update
aptitude dist-upgrade

But I wouldn't try it again.