Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Debian11 dbg/dbgsym - missing packages?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
LE_746F6D617A7A69

[Solved] Debian11 dbg/dbgsym - missing packages?

#1 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

This is probably the first time when I'm asking for help on this forums :mrgreen:

Upgraded to Debian 11:

Debian Wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace

The thing is, that by adding:

Code: Select all

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug/ bullseye-debug main
to the sources.list simply does nothing - i.e. it seems that besides the dbg packages that are provided for some core libraries (like f.e. for libc and f.e. for the mesa graphics stack), there are no dbg packages available ...

In particular, I need the dbg/dbgsym packages for libwxgtk* and libcairo* - but no such packages are available.

Visiting the (ftp) sites that are supposed to hold the dbg packages, like f.e:
http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug/
shows that there are no dbg/dbgsym packages at all ... ??

Am I missing something? or perhaps I'm getting more stupid while I'm getting older?

Of course I can build the libs from source and export the debug symbols - but that's not how it should work ...

Any ideas/hints?
Last edited by LE_746F6D617A7A69 on 2021-10-21 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

kedaha

Re: Debian11 dbg/dbgsym - missing packages?

#2 Post by kedaha »

And if you refer to it as "stable" thus?:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

[SOLVED] Debian11 dbg/dbgsym - missing packages?

#3 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

@kedaha: Thanks for the reply.

Now I'm on a different machine which was also upgraded from Debian10 to 11, and after adding the bullseye-debug repository the apt update correctly fetched the list of dbgsym packages - lots of them, actually :D
Just out of curiosity I have also tried the stable-debug and it also works.

I will check the other machine later, when I return home.

EDIT:
I have completely no idea what have happened, but now it also works on my home PC - I'm suspecting that there were some maintenance tasks pending on the server - and it was just coincidence that it didn't worked for me in that specific time window.

So, the problem is now solved.
/EDIT
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed