Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with kernels 5.6.0-2 & 5.7.0-1 & i7-9800X

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
autocrosser

Problem with kernels 5.6.0-2 & 5.7.0-1 & i7-9800X

#1 Post by autocrosser »

Greetings everyone.....
I have just run into an interesting problem after upgrading to an i7-9800X(for some reason the forum is not allowing the 9 in 9800?) from an i7-7800X. With the current 5.7.0-1 kernel & the 5.6.0-2 (current Sid), the system will not fully load GDM (no mouse or keyboard). Furthermore, the time at the GDM login screen is not displayed correctly. I run 2 Sid installs, 1 a week back in updates from the "Main" system. I booted into my backup install & found after a bit of experimenting that kernels before 5.6.0-2 will boot correctly--only the 2 newest kernels are affected, 5.6.0-1 & the older 4.19.0-X series work just fine.

I am wondering what has changed in 5.6.0-2 to cause this response. I can provide any logs/info needed to track this down--I was going to file a bugreport, but didn't know to assign this to the newer kernel series or to GDM.

More information--I tried both wired & wireless mice/keyboards with no change..none will work--cursor is frozen & no keyboard input. I have looked at the posted changes for 5.6.7-1, 5.6.14-1&2 & 5.7.6-1 & have not "really" seen anything that would shed light on this issue. Perhaps someone with more kernel experience would take a look?
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR
Linux User# 395230

cuckooflew

Re: Problem with kernels 5.6.0-2 & 5.7.0-1 & i7-9800X

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
=======
and :https://wiki.debian.org/BugReport
-I was going to file a bugreport, but didn't know to assign this to the newer kernel series or to GDM.
I am not sure on that myself, some one else might be able to suggest something on that.
If not, the same above link, 1st one gives some instruction:
If you are unable to determine which package your bug report should be filed against, please send e-mail to the Debian user mailing list asking for advice.
====== off topic ====
(for some reason the forum is not allowing the 9 in 9800?)
This does not make sense, because in your post you did post the number with the 9 , and would be another topic any way. Forum stuff & feedback
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

autocrosser

#3 Post by autocrosser »

I've sent an email to the address listed--no response yet. I'm leaning towards filing the report with the kernel series--the list of changes for 5.6.0-2 is several pages long, I have partly got through them as of this time. As for the nine problems in my posting, the header allowed the nine, but for some reason, the body of the posting is not allowing it-as you can see by me putting the 9 as a numeral right there.
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR
Linux User# 395230

autocrosser

#4 Post by autocrosser »

OK--I've cloned my backup / onto the main system & am now using it. The first thing after doing cleanup to make the clone work correctly was to reinstall 5.7.0-1 as there was a microcode update after this issue came about. I was hoping the microcode would "cure" my problem. Instead, it further illuminated the problem. Now, instead of freezing at the login screen, I get a kernel panic just before the handoff to GDM.

Still digging into this, but as the saying goes--"Things are getting curiouser & curiouser"
Linux User# 395230