Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No print server in installer "software selection"

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
andy638

No print server in installer "software selection"

#1 Post by andy638 »

Hello. It appears that the "software selection" menu in the installer for Bullseye RC1 is missing the "print server" option which was present in the installer for previous Debian releases. I installed Bullseye with the XFCE desktop, and as a result was unable to connect to a (network) printer from the XFCE print settings dialogue until I had installed CUPS manually.

Does anyone know if this is a deliberate omission or a bug? It seems to me that it would be expected that a typical desktop install would be able to connect to a printer without further packages being installed.

If this is a bug I'll have a go at raising a bug report, but would appreciate the opinion of more experienced people first so I don't waste the developer's time.

ticojohn

Re: No print server in installer "software selection"

#2 Post by ticojohn »

andy638 wrote: If this is a bug I'll have a go at raising a bug report, but would appreciate the opinion of more experienced people first so I don't waste the developer's time.
I don't think it's a bug. I had to install CUPS and openprinter drivers, then open CUPS in the browser to set up the printer in my new Bullseye installation. IMHO I don't find anything unusual in that procedure.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.