No print server in installer "software selection"

Discussion about development of the Debian OS itself
andy638

No print server in installer "software selection"

#1 Post by andy638 »

Hello. It appears that the "software selection" menu in the installer for Bullseye RC1 is missing the "print server" option which was present in the installer for previous Debian releases. I installed Bullseye with the XFCE desktop, and as a result was unable to connect to a (network) printer from the XFCE print settings dialogue until I had installed CUPS manually.

Does anyone know if this is a deliberate omission or a bug? It seems to me that it would be expected that a typical desktop install would be able to connect to a printer without further packages being installed.

If this is a bug I'll have a go at raising a bug report, but would appreciate the opinion of more experienced people first so I don't waste the developer's time.

ticojohn

Re: No print server in installer "software selection"

#2 Post by ticojohn »

andy638 wrote: If this is a bug I'll have a go at raising a bug report, but would appreciate the opinion of more experienced people first so I don't waste the developer's time.
I don't think it's a bug. I had to install CUPS and openprinter drivers, then open CUPS in the browser to set up the printer in my new Bullseye installation. IMHO I don't find anything unusual in that procedure.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.